RingosMom

Movers Destroyed Property

When we moved from FL to NJ, one of the mover's trucks flipped over and all the contents were destroyed. Long story short, he wasn't insured (he had to rent the trucks for the long move... not his own vehicles.)  After much discussion, I agreed to a settlement figure and to allow him to make monthly payments for restitution. He has never consistently made those monthly payments, sometimes going as long as 6 months without a payment. In June, he promised this would no longer happen and that he would make payments on the first of every month from then on. He made the June payment on time. In the middle of August he paid July and August. I have not seen a penny since, despite his sending an email saying he would be sending a check. Exactly what can I do to collect this debt? (It's over $20,000, so small claims is not an option.) I have all the emails indicating his agreeing to payments, including how much he agreed to settle for.

4 hours ago, RingosMom said:

Exactly what can I do to collect this debt?

Not much. You can sue and get a judgment but that won't make you better off than you are now. The guy was obviously fly-by-night and probably doesn't have a pot to piss in. Even a judgment won't get money from somebody who has no money, and no assets.

Didn't you have insurance?

One of the perils covered by a homeowners or renters policy is damage caused by vehicles.

13 hours ago, RingosMom said:

Exactly what can I do to collect this debt?

Sue (although your comment about small claims court not being an option seems to indicate that you already knew that).

I'm also fairly certain that interstate movers are regulated by some agency, and you probably can file a complaint with that agency.

Might be the Surface Transportation Board that took over after the termination of the Interstate Commerce Commission:

https://www.stb.gov/stb/about/overview.html

Florida and NJ both have regulatory agencies but I'm not sure that they handle interstate truckers but it's worth a call.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Consumer-Services

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/

1 hour ago, adjusterjack said:

Might be the Surface Transportation Board that took over after the termination of the Interstate Commerce Commission:

No, it is not the Surface Transportation Board. That agency oversees regulation of certain federal law relating to railroads. Instead, it is Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). That agency has issued regulations relating to the moving of household goods. It also has a consumer publication available explaining your rights and responsibilities when you move that can be very helpful.

You may contact the FMCSA several different ways, all of which are explained here: FMCSA contact info. See also the agency’s Protect Your Move page, which includes a button to go to the page to file a complaint about a mover.

1 hour ago, Tax_Counsel said:

No, it is not the Surface Transportation Board. That agency oversees regulation of certain federal law relating to railroads. Instead, it is Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). That agency has issued regulations relating to the moving of household goods. It also has a consumer publication available explaining your rights and responsibilities when you move that can be very helpful.

You may contact the FMCSA several different ways, all of which are explained here: FMCSA contact info. See also the agency’s Protect Your Move page, which includes a button to go to the page to file a complaint about a mover.

I knew I'd recognize the name if someone mentioned it.  The OP may also want to look into whether this mover had a surety bond (different than insurance).  I would assume that info can be found via the links that "Tax_Counsel" provided.