Jump to content

Contractor Dispute

Recommended Posts

I need help,

A contractor put a lien on my house and now is suing me for money. He was hired to do a renovation job in one of my apartments. He charged me $17,000 and I paid him $6000. 
He wanted more money and I told him once the job is complete I will give him the balance. He did not complete the job listed in the contract nor he did not obtain a permit to do the work.

The work he did required a permit by NYC Department of Buildings, which I had no idea. Now I am being fined for work being done on my property without a permit 

and the wall he put up was illegal. I have to fines against me from New York City Department of Buildings and he is now suing me. He did not comply with the procedures according to 

New York City Dept of Consumer Affairs. 


Please help as these New York Contractors Attorney's are difficult to deal.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not clear what sort of 'help' you are looking for from this discussion board.

If you have been sued by your contractor, you will need to defend the suit, and hiring a lawyer to represent you in that effort is almost always the correct way to proceed.  There is a 'Find a Lawyer' link on this page that is one way (but definitely not the only way) to find someone to represent you.


The fines from the NYC Dept of Buildings could possibly be a basis for a counterclaim by you against the contractor in that lawsuit, although one important factor would be to determine who was responsible for obtaining the permit -- you or the contractor.  A review of the terms of the written agreement between you and the contractor would be a good starting place for figuring out the answer to that question.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mylife283 said:

Please help


Help how?  This is an internet message board.  We can answer questions, but you didn't ask any.



48 minutes ago, Mylife283 said:

these New York Contractors Attorney's are difficult to deal.


Not really sure what this means, but I think it should be obvious that, if your property has been liened and you have been sued, you need to hire an attorney to deal with the lien and the lawsuit.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...