Sign in to follow this  
mom2demi

Can I record a 504 meeting?

4 posts in this topic

The school is telling me that I do not have a right to record a 504 meeting without the consent of the teachers. Is this true?

Can anyone point me to where I can find the California law or education regulations regarding this? 

Please help. 

In California the law is that it is illegal record a private conversation without the consent of ALL participants to the conversation. Thus, in order to record that meeting, you need the consent of everyone participating in that meeting. See California Penal Code section 632. So it appears that the school is quite correct on this.

5 hours ago, mom2demi said:

The school is telling me that I do not have a right to record a 504 meeting without the consent of the teachers. Is this true?

I quick googling indicates to me that you, perhaps, have a disabled child on a 504 plan and this is an evaluation meeting.

If that is correct, what is your concern about the meeting where you think you should be recording it?

There is nothing in the Rehab Act law which would allow you to record this meeting. Heck, the law doesn't even require you be invited to such meetings, though the school isn't prohibited from allowing you to be there either. Are you sure you are talking about 504 and not an IEP? These are sometimes used interchangeably but are quite different.