KcD11

Property Left Behind By Previous Owner

I purchased a home and 20 acres on Feb. 15, 2017. The seller was to be out the day of the closing, but asked me after the closing that day if I could give him the rest of the week to get the rest of his stuff out, said he would be done by the weekend. We had a verbal agreement in the presence of our realitors that I would allow this. He didnt get out until Sunday night, then we moved in. He left several items washer/dryer,  boat, utility trailer, ladders, tools and a tractor sitting out in the field, that wouldn't crank. He came about 2 months later and got the w/d, boat, and trailer. I finally went out there and worked on the tractor for a few days and got it running again and begin to use it, it works fine now. So today Oct. 14, 2017 I came home to a video of 3 guys trying to load the tractor on a trailer but did not succeed, they couldnt figure out how to start it. I asked the previous owner to call and let me know if he ever came back out here to my property, but he didnt, its like he didnt want me to know he was coming to get the tractor now that its running again. My question is, was the property abandonded by the owner, and didnt the tractor become mine at the closing when I legally took possesion of the house and property that day?  Or is it more complicated than that?

Yeah, it's more complicated. For one thing your verbal agreement was useless and unenforceable. What was left behind did not automatically become yours. There are complicated laws that apply to abandoned property. I suggest you figure out what they are and follow them.

Hindsight is 20/20. The right way to have handled that was to inspect the property before going to the escrow office to close. You didn't do that and you got sandbagged after they guy got his money. Had you seen the junk there before you closed you could have said "No, thanks, get your crap off the property by close of escrow or there won't be any close and you won't get your money until everything is removed." You'd have been amazed at how fast that stuff would have been gone.