FakeBounce

Property Manager claims rent check bounced. Could also be a banking issue

I paid my rent in full, on time, for September at the beginning of the month.  A few days later when I check my bank statement and see the check was cashed.  Near the middle of the month, I get an email from my property manager that says there was an issue with my rent payment.  I go to talk them and they say that my rent check bounced, even though the check was cashed.  I go to my bank to clarify that the check was cash and have a copy of the check and bank statements proving that the check was cash and that I had sufficient funds in my checking account.  Another week passes by and they claimed to have looked at the copies that were made and they're still claiming my check bounced.  For my next month's rent, there is an $100 late fee plus $50 return check fee.  I really don't know how to fight this legally.  Also, how can a check bounce if I had enough money in my account?

8 hours ago, adjusterjack said:

Stop emailing and go to the management office personally with copies of both sides of the cancelled check (keeping copies for yourself, of course) and demand that they show you their evidence that the check bounced. Sit there until you get it.

I've already gave them copies of the check and bank statements proving the money was taken out of my account.  The property manager and rental company are claiming my check bounced.

34 minutes ago, adjusterjack said:

Again, go in and demand their documentation or NSF notice.

Have you done that?

The only thing I got was an email claiming the check had bounced and the check was returned to me.  I've gone to the bank twice and they've clarified that the check was cashed.

10 hours ago, FakeBounce said:

Another week passes by and they claimed to have looked at the copies that were made and they're still claiming my check bounced.

I'm not sure who "they" are in this sentence.  When you refer to everyone as "they" and "them," it gets confusing.  Are you talking about someone at your bank or your landlord?

For my next month's rent, there is an $100 late fee plus $50 return check fee.  I really don't know how to fight this legally.

From your follow up posts, it sounds like your bank records refute your landlord's claim that the check bounced.  Obviously, if your bank records show that the check did not bounce and you have provided copies of those records to your landlord, then you simply tell your landlord that you will not be paying any sort of late fee or return check fee.

Also, how can a check bounce if I had enough money in my account?

This is a rather pointless hypothetical.

36 minutes ago, FakeBounce said:
1 hour ago, adjusterjack said:

Again, go in and demand their documentation or NSF notice.

Have you done that?

The only thing I got was an email claiming the check had bounced and the check was returned to me.

This doesn't answer the question that "adjusterjack" asked.  Have you gone to the landlord and demanded evidence that the check bounced?  Yes or no.  If the answer is yes, what response did you receive?  If you've provided records from your bank saying that the check cleared and your landlord can't provide any evidence to the contrary, then you politely tell the landlord to take his late fee and bounced check charge and insert it rectally.