EducatedBlackMan6

Sue, Yay or Nay ?

13 posts in this topic

So when I first registered for school you know how you have to show proof of address and things like that so I've done all of that. Tell me why a few weeks later the assistant principal sees me after school because she doesn't believe where I live and tells me I can't return to school until I show proof of residency. So I bring a letter such as a bill and she says "No, I can't accept that you need to bring a parent or guardian" And then she puts me in detention for the rest of the day. Now bringing one in wouldn't be a problem if they weren't always working and they don't feel like they have the need to take off work just because some lame wannabe big shot assistant doesn't believe I live where I say I live. So she's saying until I get proof of residency don't come back to school but when i did my research the U.S Department of Education states that "School officials may request proof that you live within the boundaries of the school district. School districts typically accept a variety of documents for this purpose, such as copies of phone and water bills, lease agreements, affidavits, or other documents. A school district’s requirements to establish residency must be applied in the same way for all children." So what does she mean I need to bring a guardian when with everyone else she accepts the bill or letter etc. Anyways let me know how to deal with this situation please and thank you

Yours Truly,

EducatedBlackMan6

I'm not certain how old you are, but if you are under 18, you are unlikely to have any bills in your name which establish residency and it is normal for parents to be the ones responsible for registration and verification. If your district requires all students to be registered by a parent or guardian, as is the case in 99% of districts, yours can be required as well. I'm not sure how you know that the other students have handled this on their own and only shown a copy of a bill. I have no idea why the AP doesn't think you live where you do. When your parent called to ask the AP why this was the case, what was your parent told? Surely one of them can spare a few minutes to make a phone call to the school.

3 minutes ago, ElleMD said:

I'm not certain how old you are, but if you are under 18, you are unlikely to have any bills in your name which establish residency and it is normal for parents to be the ones responsible for registration and verification. If your district requires all students to be registered by a parent or guardian, as is the case in 99% of districts, yours can be required as well. I'm not sure how you know that the other students have handled this on their own and only shown a copy of a bill. I have no idea why the AP doesn't think you live where you do. When your parent called to ask the AP why this was the case, what was your parent told? Surely one of them can spare a few minutes to make a phone call to the school.

When I first enrolled for the school my parent came in and we handled this already. Now out of the blue she doesn't believe I live there. And almost all of my family attend too and they've let me know how they had to do it and when they tried to call she said no I want them to come in like honestly she's just on straight bs and I want to know if what she's doing is legal or not cause you can't deny a kid education for no reason.

13 minutes ago, EducatedBlackMan6 said:

Anyways let me know how to deal with this situation please and thank you

How you deal with it is you bring a parent or guardian to school just like you were told to.

Understand that, as you go through life, the world has rules that you follow (like them or not) or suffer the consequences. You're not too young to learn that.

Or, you can miss weeks or months of school while you fight over it.

It is legal to require verification that you live in the district. I have no idea why the school now believes you do not live there. Perhaps someone reported that you do not. Either way, this is something your parents need to resolve as you are a minor.

1 minute ago, adjusterjack said:

How you deal with it is you bring a parent or guardian to school just like you were told to.

Understand that, as you go through life, the world has rules that you follow (like them or not) or suffer the consequences. You're not too young to learn that.

Or, you can miss weeks or months of school while you fight over it.

My parents are not going to miss work just because of her doubts why can't she just accept the mail and move on...

1 minute ago, ElleMD said:

It is legal to require verification that you live in the district. I have no idea why the school now believes you do not live there. Perhaps someone reported that you do not. Either way, this is something your parents need to resolve as you are a minor.

They shouldn't need to come in she can accept the mail or the phone call. Right or wrong?

I don't know why she won't accept the mail and move on. You are incorrect that she MUST accept the letter you provided or a phone call from a parent as proof of residency. When I suggested your parent all, it was to find out what is necessary to satisfy the residency requirement and perhaps as k why there is any confusion. As you are a minor, the AP does not have to and should not, relay that information to you. It is possible the phone call from a parent will clear up the situation, but it is also not unusual to require parents appear in person. Administrators tend to put in long hours so it is entirely possible if your parent calls, they can arrange a time to come in around their work hours.

Here's the bottom line:  we obviously have no idea why the assistant principal did what she did.  It is therefore up to your parent(s)/guardian(s) to take care of this.  If that means taking some time off work, then so be it.  It's part of being a parent.  That you think this is stupid neither changes anything nor solves the problem.

You guys don't get it y'all probably think I'm just being a little bitch. I've gave her a letter, had my parents call and everything and she still wants someone to come in. A few of my cousins went through this and she accepted the phone calls/letters so why should I have to run the extra mile if the rest of the class sits and drink water while watching?

3 hours ago, EducatedBlackMan6 said:

You guys don't get it

I disagree.  It fact, I think it is you who doesn't "get it," but whatever.

I've gave her a letter,

In your original post, you told us that you provided "a letter such as a bill."  I don't know what that means because you didn't explain it.  Who sent the letter?  To whom was the letter sent?  What does the letter say?  Bills and letters are different things.  Is it actually a bill and not a letter?  If so, what sort of bill is it and whose name(s) is/are on the bill?

had my parents call

While I don't care to guess blindly about why the assistant principal is doing what she is doing, it seems rather obvious that she is suspicious that you are not providing truthful information.  If that were the case, then merely getting a phone call from someone might not resolve that issue since it would be very easy for you to get some random adult to make a phone call.

why should I have to run the extra mile if the rest of the class sits and drink water while watching?

We obviously have no way of knowing, but it doesn't matter.  What we do know (or at least what appears to be obvious) is that unless you jump through this rather trivial hoop, you aren't getting into school.  So...here are your choices:  (1) comply and get what you want; (2) get your parent(s)/guardian(s) to file a lawsuit; or (3) dig in your heels and don't do what's needed and deal with the consequences.  Your choice, and whatever you choose is ultimately of no concern to me.

Since you posted this on a legal board I assume you are looking for some kind of law that will force her to accept a phone call or the letter you submitted. Rest assured that no such law exists. If she wants an in-person visit from a parent, there isn't any law that is going to force her to accept a phone call or a letter of any kind instead.