spagetti

No Time allocated for lunch break on E High School schedule.

I have a a 9th grader who attends her High school curriculum at home, through a public E School. I would like to know if there is a state regulation that mandates a minimum lunch break in the students schedule. We are in Ohio. She started 9th grade, and attends live instruction classes, from 8:30am to 2:30, and sometimes until 3:30. There is NOT ONE break in between each class, NOR A LUNCH, implemented on my child's schedule. Is the state forcing these E schools to cram a full day of school, to avoid paying teachers for a longer day? Any thoughts are appreciated.  

To the best of my knowledge, no one from Ohio (much less an Ohio attorney fluent in education law) follows these boards regularly, so the chances that someone will happen upon this post with an answer about state regulations are slim to none.  As far as paying teacher, a normal day for high school students is 8:30-2:30 (give or take), and teachers don't typically get paid by the hour, so the length of the actual school day is of little significance.  In any event, when you called the principal or other administrator at your child's school to discuss your concerns, what sort of response did you receive?

If the kid is at home and essentially watching class happen, or even using the computer, why can't the child eat while in "class" if this is an issue? Ohio has regulations for teacher lunch breaks, but ironically, not for students. Still, if your child is home it stands to reason that eating a sandwich and piece of fruit would be entirely possible while taking classes.

Yes. My kid can grab something to eat while watching class. The concern here, isn't the lack of being able to eat during class, but a "break", somewhere in between the 6-7 hours of her classes. I did not ask administration yet. I find it amusing that there's regulation for teachers' breaks, and regulation for employment breaks, as well as breaks for minor children who are employed. I just wanted to inquire about it.

Thank you for your input.

2 hours ago, rockmehardplace said:

With all sincerity, what is your child doing during the teachers' breaks?

If the child is "watching" classes on a computer, the teachers are taking a break while another is teaching. In an e-class, it is unlikely the classes are happening in real time though. It seems unusual that these classes have to be taken at these exact times and half the reason such online schools exist is for the flexibility of taking instruction whenever is convenient. It also seems unlikely that a student in any high school, would have only rigorous academic classes and for 6 hours a day, when traditional high school, doesn't operate that way, but your mileage may vary.

pg1067   My child "E Schools", because she has a history of severe anxiety, with OCD. These issues interfered with her ability to thrive in the public classroom. Thanks to therapy and meds, she is doing brilliantly. 

11 hours ago, getty61 said:

pg1067   My child "E Schools", because she has a history of severe anxiety, with OCD.

Any particular reason why you're responding to a five week old question directed to someone else?