Charlton2

Overcharge for hours worked by plumber

I recently had plumbing work done and when I received the bill for service, in my opinion I feel that I was overcharged for hours it took to complete the job. The workers came at 8:30, left for lunch at 12. Came back at 1 and finished at 4. I called the plumber to discuss the supposed error in hours(7.5) and I felt it should have been 6.5. He said that I was being charged for the 30 minutes prior to getting to my home so workers could load the truck and the hour they took for lunch. Is it legal to charge someone for services not provided before they actually work at your home and can one be charged for the lunch hour taken by workers? Thanks

Paying for travel time is common when you hire contractors.

But not for lunch break.

You would probably have a good argument in court over the hour charge for lunch but do you want to end up in court for it?

You might want to negotiate a discount for the lunch while you still have your money and have some leverage. If you are successful get the invoice rewritten.

Next time you hire a contractor make sure you discuss these things in advance and get them in writing.

43 minutes ago, Charlton2 said:

Is it legal to charge someone for services not provided before they actually work at your home and can one be charged for the lunch hour taken by workers?

This is all legal, but what does your contract say?  If it says you have to pay for these things, then you're stuck.

×
×