bbhh

Small mma gym fraudulent charges

Almost 4 years to date after walking into this small mma gym I was interested.. the same night they invited me to attend a free class the next day. After that free class one of the owners showed me membership plans. I needed some time to think and the plan options definitely weren't explained clearly and explained much too fast. I had signed a paper before and after the free class, I explained I wasn't  able to pay that day and that I wasn't sure on joining. 
          I ended up not going back, no biggie.. until two weeks later while working I start getting harassment phone calls by different owners of the gym asking for something like no less than $900.00. I explained I wasn't interested in joining at that time and the owner continued harassing me day to day. He stated I already made the commitment. I never attended a day of MMA school besides the free class day.. why should I pay those guys $900.00?  
          Just looking at a credit report today and apparently The mma gym is asking for over $1100.00 now. Thinking of the deception and  fraudulent charges that occurred it's disgusting.

Debt collector tells me to contact the gym.. 

What is the cheapest most effective way of handling this after 4 years have gone by? 

If you signed a contract to join the gym and pay the membership fee then you are obligated to pay that fee even if you never used the facilities. That’s because you made the promise to pay and the gym made the facilities available to you regardless of whether you actually used them. It is not fraud or deception if everything was spelled out in the contract you signed. You had the option to read before signing and should have done so. It’s not the gym’s fault if you chose not to read it. At this point if you have copies of those documents you signed, better get them out now and see what you agreed to do. If you don’t have them, contact the gym and see if it will provide you copies (though the gym is not legally obligated to provide you copies at this stage). If you agreed to pay $900, then you owe that. If you agreed to pay collection fees, etc., then the additions to the $900 may also be legitimate. If the debt is legitimate you are not getting it off your credit report. Arizona apparently provides a 6 year statute of limitation to sue on a written contract, so the creditor could still sue you over this.

I didn't pay a membership fee. I signed a wager about getting injured during the practice. After when I was selecting a membership plan, they had realized I wasn't able to pay at that time and the papers I signed were thrown away I was told. 

11 hours ago, bbhh said:

I had signed a paper before and after the free class,

What sort of "paper"?  What did it say?

11 hours ago, bbhh said:

Well...for starters, if someone has made a report on your credit report, you can dispute it in accordance with the provisions of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.  You may also want to familiarize yourself with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Not really possible to say much more than that without knowing exactly what the "paper" you signed said.

4 hours ago, bbhh said:

After when I was selecting a membership plan, they had realized I wasn't able to pay at that time and the papers I signed were thrown away I was told.

Now your story has changed from "I had signed a paper" (singular) to "papers I signed" (plural).  And you were told they were thrown away, but it sounds like you don't really know.

Regardless of what I signed it's not right. I signed a waver paper about injury before class and after signed up for a membership plan, but after seeing my card didn't work I decided I needed more time to think anyway. The guy told me he already threw away the membership paper for now.

So I signed a waver and after a membership plan paper. Regardless I never attended any class after that and it was very clearly stated I had no intention of going or continuing with the membership when I was called and harassed on the phone. 

47 minutes ago, bbhh said:

Regardless of what I signed it's not right.

The law does not care about subjective assessments of what is and isn't "right."  If you signed on for a long-term membership, that's what counts.  If you weren't sure about your interest level or ability to pay, then you shouldn't have signed anything.  And you certainly should always read and understand what you're signing before you sign and should always keep copies of documents you sign.

46 minutes ago, bbhh said:

it was very clearly stated I had no intention of going or continuing with the membership

And yet you admit to having "signed up for a membership plan."  What if the guy to whom you "very clearly stated [that you] had no intention of . . . continuing with the membership" died in a bus accident the next day.  All anyone else knows is that you "signed up for a membership plan."  That's one of the reason why written documents exist.  They allow folks not to have to worry about employee turnover or faulty memories.

I suggest taking a look at the two bodies of law I mentioned previously and then get a hold of any documents you allegedly signed.

3 hours ago, bbhh said:

The problem is that once you signed the agreement for membership you were bound to its terms. Saying after you sign a contract that you have no intention of continuing it does not get you free from the contract without obligation; what it does is breach the contract. It doesn't matter that after you signed you never intended to go back and never did go back. If you sign a contract agreeing to pay a membership fee then you owe that fee regardless of whether you actually use the membership at all. For the future remember this point well and make sure you read your contracts carefully and really want it before you sign the deal because from the moment you sign it you'll be bound to its terms.

×
×