Asia06

concerned friend

hello......I really appreciate you answering my post/question. My question about an extradition is does the state, which is PA, when the Police  run your name & a warrant from another state comes up, which is VA, the police take you to jail for the warrant im another state but you have nothing ever in PA....does the extradition process start then(I heard was 30 days to come pick him up but correct me if im wrong please) They say he has a hearing in the cambria county courts on the 24th of Aug but for what because the warrant is in VA?? He got picked up Aug. 14th so Im wondering if his time started then or after this hearing on Thursday Aug. 24th?? I hope I made myself alittle clearer than the initial post. Just dont know how VA or PA laws work with this extradition process. It is for a misdemeanor charge also.  Thank you!!

After you're picked up on the warrant, the arresting state notifies the state that issued the warrant.  That state then must send what's called a governor's warrant indicating that they wish to have the defendant extradited and they intend to come get him.   If there hasn't been a hearing before the 24th, then that hearing is likely to determine if the defendant waives extradition.  If he doesn't, then there will be another hearing if the governor's warrant hasn't been received yet.  When they get that warrant there will be a hearing to determine if the defendant is the person named in the warrant.  If they don't get a governor's warrant or get notice that the other state doesn't wish to extradite, they will ultimately release the defendant BUT that doesn't take care of the warrant OR the underlying charges.  He can still get picked up on the warrant every time he's contacted by police and repeat the process ad infinitem. The ONLY way to clear the warrant is to surrender to the issuing court.  There is no statute of limitations on a warrant.

thank you so much for answering my questions about the extradition process...i do understand it much better. So you are saying thats its best if he waives his extradition on the 24th?? Also how long will they wait to hear from VA before they will decide to release him or not if they havent heard from them already??

×
×