Lala29

Judge Commits Suicide

I paid my attorney about $5000 for prep and trial. The judge heard about 80% of the case, then we scheduled a day to complete it. Before that day came, the judge killed himself. A new judge was appointed to the case, and is demanding a complete retrial. The retrial is only being ordered because the original judge obviously can't pick up where we left off. While this is unfortunate, I do not feel as though I should be expected to pay for it all over again. Is it possible for me to sue the judges estate for this money? Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Lala29 said:

Is it possible for me to sue the judges estate for this money?

Anybody can sue anybody for anything. You can even sue dead people.

Unfortunately, in this case, you'll be wasting your time and your money because it just isn't going to happen.

29 minutes ago, Lala29 said:

Is it possible for me to sue the judges estate for this money? Thanks!

You would lose. The judge is not liable for the extra cost you incur because of his death. Judges change all the time for a variety of reasons (promotion, retirement, disability, or whatever), and those departures do not impose upon the judge any duty to pay the litigants for extra costs that may result from that change. This is just a part of litigation that parties have to deal with.

11 hours ago, Lala29 said:

Yes, it's possible to sue, but you won't find an attorney willing to do it for you, so you'll have to learn the procedures yourself.  You'll lose -- fairly quickly -- and you could very well be sanctioned for filing a frivolous lawsuit.

×
×