Sign in to follow this  
rockyboy33

Driver exercise due care

I was pulled over for a clocked 86 in a 70 on interstate 75 three lane.  I wasn't going that fast. The cops didnt like to communicate when they pulled me over and won't tell me what details are.  It says citation and summons.  The cop said I just had to pay a fine but that's not what the ticket says.  It's a 10 hour drive from my home in Florida. When calling the number it states it could take 20 days for information. Seems a little Agressive for a speeding ticket. The cop made is sound like it was a lesser ticket but after trying to figure out how to pay it's sounding ridiculous.  40-6-241 state law. Cooks county. Does anyone know the fines details and if I need to plan for a trip up to Georgia?  I'm a full time student work full time and my moms been in the hospital for a month icu. (Which is why I was in the situation in the first place) 

1 hour ago, rockyboy33 said:

The cop said I just had to pay a fine but that's not what the ticket says.

Not real helpful telling us what the ticket does not say without telling us what is actually does say.

When calling the number it states it could take 20 days for information.

That's hardly unusual.

Seems a little Agressive for a speeding ticket.

Huh?

The cop made is sound like it was a lesser ticket

Lesser than what?  It would be hard to imagine anything "lesser" than a speeding or distracted driving ticket.

40-6-241 state law.

That's not a speeding law; it's a distracted driving law.  Section 40-6-241 of the Georgia Code states as follows:

"A driver shall exercise due care in operating a motor vehicle on the highways of this state and shall not engage in any actions which shall distract such driver from the safe operation of such vehicle, provided that, except as prohibited by Code Sections 40-6-241.1 and 40-6-241.2, the proper use of a radio, citizens band radio, mobile telephone, or amateur or ham radio shall not be a violation of this Code section."

Does anyone know the fines details and if I need to plan for a trip up to Georgia?

To my knowledge, no attorneys from Georgia follow these boards regularly, and Cooks County is a rather small county, so it's unlikely that anyone with relevant knowledge will happen upon this thread.  As far as needing to go back to deal with this, I would expect that you'll receive some sort of courtesy notice in the mail within a few weeks after the date of the citation and that you'll be able to pay by mail.  However, you should keep top of things and call the clerk of the court if you haven't received anything after a couple of weeks.

When I said Agressive I mean I cannot understand why speeding would be written as a distracted driving citation.  Is speeding distracting?  Cooks county doesn't have a fine list online but other Georgia counties list it between $150-200 fine. I was implying that the police might have wrote the citation and summons as a cheaper/lesser fine then a speeding ticket. He didn't say "i clocked you at 86" he showed the radar and asked for the license. No communication. I'm not sure that's why I posted a question.  The police said "just pay this fine" but on the citation there is no fine just a court date. It's a confusing process.