foolish

Weight of Documents

This post is more of learning the language that is used describing the weight of a 10 page word document that is converted into a PDF document. Versus a One-page word document converted into PDF for example  a 10 page word document converted into PDF weighs (3,096K) versus a two page word document converted into PDF weighs (439K) I don't know the technical words used to get my point across.       

for what purpose? \Postage?  It can cost more to mail a heavier document, if that is what you are asking.  If you are asking the weight a trier of fact would give a particular document, that would depend upon the content rather than the number of pages.

2 minutes ago, doucar said:

Let me clarify a bit, first it has nothing to do with the cost of the postage or the weight a trier of fact would give. It has to do with once a word documents gets converted then attached to email and emailed to a party where later the receiving party claims that it only received a lesser amount of documents when it in fact received the proper amount.  I have digital image of the email I sent showing the document by name and the weight. I just don't know the language to get my point across in making my case. 

6 minutes ago, LegalwriterOne said:

It's not weight, it's volume. If they say they didn't get it, send it again.  If they're still claiming a problem, get their fax number and send it by fax.  Pick your battles.

This email transmission cannot be resent or faxed, because its being litigated and that's the only issue the opposing party that I see is relevant raised.  I got sucked into this its not about me "picking my battles" its about proving them wrong.  

So how do I go about explaining the difference between pdf document weighing 3, 096K and the other document weighing  439K.   

2 hours ago, foolish said:

a 10 page word document converted into PDF weighs (3,096K) versus a two page word document converted into PDF weighs (439K) I don't know the technical words used to get my point across.  

This K behind the weight or volume what does K stand for.  I ask this question because I hate just repeating something I have no knowledge of what it means.  In this case its the weight or volume of word document converted into PDF format. 

Appreciate some help on the lingo,  I researched and can't come-up with anything useful to me. 

K stands for "kilo bytes"  Thousands of characters, commonly called bytes, in the document transmitted.  A 3,096K document conains about 3,096,000 characters of information (please don't muddy he water about K meaning 1,024 characters, it's irrelevant).  The count of characters includes the text plus formatting information.  Therefore 10 pages of a Word document is not exactly ten times the length of a one page Word document.  The one page documennt contained about 439,000 characters.

It is possible, if not probable, that your email provider limits the length (number of characters) in an attachment and did not transmit the entire document.

Once again, if you do not understand even this basic information about electronic filing of documents you are fighting with both hands tied behind your back.

K has nothing to do with weight.

11 minutes ago, RetiredinVA said:

K has nothing to do with weight.

Got it thanks for the help, just wanted to how to identify the kilo bytes and confirm that the word count was the best route which you did. There is a world of difference between the word count of a ten-page document and a one-page document.  As for the hypothetical scenario that it might have possible that that the receiving party didn't receive the entire document, like you said its highly improbable, but that issue wasn't raised. So, I'm sticking to what it did raise.  As for muddying up the issues, believe me I'll keep it simple and to the point. Simpler in this case is better I believe.   Thanks again   

4 hours ago, foolish said:

for example  a 10 page word document converted into PDF weighs (3,096K) versus a two page word document converted into PDF weighs (439K) I don't know the technical words used to get my point across.

I don't know what you're talking about.  In the United States, the weight of an object is typically expressed in pounds or ounces.  You appear to be talking about the size of a document (as expressed in kilobytes).

In any event, what's your question?

3 hours ago, foolish said:

It has to do with once a word documents gets converted then attached to email and emailed to a party where later the receiving party claims that it only received a lesser amount of documents when it in fact received the proper amount.  I have digital image of the email I sent showing the document by name and the weight. I just don't know the language to get my point across in making my case.

This doesn't clear up much of anything.  The size of an e-mail attachment has nothing to do with whether or not the recipient received the e-mail or the attachment.  The exception would be if the recipient's e-mail service provider limits the size of attachments and the attachment you sent exceeded that limit.  Some businesses limit attachments to 10MB (i.e., 10,000KB).  I've never heard of any service with a lower limit (at least not these days).

2 hours ago, foolish said:

This email transmission cannot be resent or faxed, because its being litigated and that's the only issue the opposing party that I see is relevant raised.

I assume you're saying that an issue in your case is whether another party to the case did or didn't receive an e-mail or a particular attachment.

2 hours ago, foolish said:

Again, the issue is not "weight."  What difference does this make, and why do you feel the need to "explain[] the difference"?  More importantly, why do you think the difference between a 3MB PDF and a 439K PDF isn't readily apparent?

6 minutes ago, pg1067 said:

You assume correctly the other party is making an unsupported claims. there basically pulling unsupported excuses out of their hat which has been disputed every time me they pullout  an excuse out of their hat. 

12 minutes ago, pg1067 said:

Again, the issue is not "weight."  What difference does this make, and why do you feel the need to "explain[] the difference"?  More importantly, why do you think the difference between a 3MB PDF and a 439K PDF isn't readily apparent

Your also correct that there is an obvious difference between the two, that it can't be ignored, for this reason I can't afford to let it go ignored.    

Did the other side consent in writing to electronic service?  When I said pick your battles, I meant don't argue every little thing.  You lose credibility when you do that and arguing about this isn't going to win the case for you.  Your motion or whatever it is won't be heard unless the other side has everything.   The court will continue the matter if they say they didn't get it.   Everybody knows in a government office, things get misplaced.  The way to expedite it is to just send it again and ask that they confirm that they received it.  OR, better yet, call the attorney of record, get the fax number and send by fax where you get a solid piece of paper that says they got it. 

5 minutes ago, Tax_Counsel said:

BTW, the term you are looking for here is “file size” not “weight”, e.g. “the size of the PDF file was 100kb.”

It was actually several separate pdf documents attached to the email the one relevant is two certain dated email, I am not concerned with the other attachments except 
3, 096 kilo-bytes compared to the 439 kilo bytes.

1 hour ago, pg1067 said:

(3,096K) versus a two page word document converted into PDF weighs (439K)

I have a digital image of the email sent on challenged date showing the document and its "file size" can I use document size instead? would that be also be correct?  I broke it done to the word count of the entire document in word format before converting to PDF, to narrow down document even more, so that its beyond question that the right document was emailed and received by the other party.

2 minutes ago, LegalwriterOne said:

Did the other side consent in writing to electronic service?  . . . . The court will continue the matter if they say they didn't get it.   Everybody knows in a government office, things get misplaced.  . . . The way to expedite it is to just send it again and ask that they confirm that they received it.  OR, better yet, call the attorney of record, get the fax number and send by fax where you get a solid piece of paper that says they got it. 

Electronic submissions the procedure that accepted.  If the court continues the matter without this issue being fully aired out, then I admitted this unsupported fact which the fact is the contrary.  Again its way too late to resend the issues are being litigated, even assuming I could resend this document again, then I just proved that defendants were right.  And that is simply not the case and is unacceptable and won't happened at all.   

×
×