Tim321

Supervisor won't let me have time off for medical appointment after asking for accommodations

Right after I submitted HR's required ADA accommodations paperwork with Dr's input, my department manager won't allow me time off for medical appointment without discipline points. Those points will probably be doubled since I asked for the day off if I go to the appointment.

I'm feeling very discouraged and frustrated. I'm in the VA single payer healthcare system and they rejected my request for this medical test a few weeks ago. It's taken me this long to get the special testing approved and now my job will penalize me for making the appointment.  I'm so tired of suffering because I can't get treatment until this diagnostic test is completed, let alone worried I'll lose the job because it affects my performance.

I'm pretty sure they're obligated under the ADA to accommodate my medical appointments. Am I wrong here?

I don't remember seeing anything in the ADA that requires them to allow you to take time off for doctor's appointments at any time you like. Nor is the employer required to provide you with the accommodation you request, or even the one the doctor recommends; only one that works. Specifically what did you request?

If the timing was as close as you imply, the department manager and HR may not yet have gotten together on arranging an accommodation when your request for the time off was refused.

It's not a matter of when I like, it's when I need. I needed this damn test weeks ago.

I asked specifically for extra break time when exhaustion from sleep deprivation strikes. I often get dizzy, weak, confused and feel like I'm about to pass out during such times. I make more mistakes too, not too mention painful mood swings. 

My fear is they will delay my healthcare treatment and I make enough mistakes that they fire me. I've had to leave work twice and have already been written up once for a math error. 

It's true the timing is close and they have not had time to communicate enough. My efforts this next week is to get permission from them for my test Sunday, as well as get the extra break time so I can recover from the exhaustion episodes.
I don't think being able to go to medical appointments is an unreasonable accommodation.

You can not be penalized for taking time off work for medical appointments.  There are factors that determine whether or not it falls under ADA, FMLA or paid work leave/unpaid work leave that will depend on your employer size, your job description, how long you've been employed there etc.  I'd suggest looking up https://adata.org/factsheet/work-leave

But you've properly notified your employer of the need for accommodation and they have a responsibility to provide reasonable accommodation.  Time off work for appointments, provided it doesn't fundamentally disrupt the flow of business, is part of reasonable accommodation and you are allowed to take that leave in long stretches or intermittently