jesssss

MyLife Website Personal Information

I have a question regarding MyLife website, I googled my name and found a website MyLife that had some of my information mixed with someone with the same names information, I read through there website and found some information for opting out with an email.  I sent an email requesting the information be removed as it is not all accurate.  This is the response I received below.

They are indicating that it is 'public' records, which I only half agree with, I googled my name and couldn't find some of the information they had listed as 'public' so I am not sure where they found this information.  My actual main concern is, they will remove it for me if I purchase the Premium MyLife Package instead of the free access service.  Is this even legal?  They say they pull all our information from public resources, but say I can pay them to have it removed, they don't do it for free!  I have sent a follow up to the following email asking why I would have to pay to have it removed and have yet to receive a response.  I know they had a lawsuit again them a few years back for shady practices.  

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for contacting MyLife™ Customer Care.

We appreciate your Inquiry about the information on MyLife.com. The information on each profile page is gathered from public sources, which can be easily found online using a simple Google search. This information will not be removed as these types of information are considered "public records" under the law, which means that anyone has the right to access them.

MyLife helps you see your personal information that’s exposed across the Internet. You can view your background report information and make sure it’s accurate. With your MyLife.com Premium Membership you can request removal of your information from over 35 websites that publish and sell personal information. Who’s Searching For You™ notifies you when people search for your personal information online.

You can contact a MyLife.com Customer Care Representative to learn more about MyLife Premium and how to control and monitor your personal information online.

If you need additional assistance or have further questions, please feel free to contact our MyLife.com™ Customer Care representatives toll-free at (888) 704-1900.

We are open Mon-Fri 6am-7pm, Sat-Sun 6am-5pm PST to provide unlimited free member support.

Sincerely,

Lawrence

On 8/11/2017 at 8:13 PM, jesssss said:

They are indicating that it is 'public' records, which I only half agree with, I googled my name and couldn't find some of the information they had listed as 'public' so I am not sure where they found this information.

Believe it or not, not all "public record" information is available by googling (notwithstanding what this company told you in its response).

On 8/11/2017 at 8:13 PM, jesssss said:

My actual main concern is, they will remove it for me if I purchase the Premium MyLife Package instead of the free access service.  Is this even legal?

If you want someone to delete something that is legal, it's certainly legal to require a payment.  For example, let's say I moved next to you and put a fountain in my front lawn that featured a "classical" nude sculpture.  Perfectly legal for me to do that, but you don't like it, so you ask me to remove it.  I say, "sure, if you pay me $500 I'll remove it."  Perfectly legal.  Your situation is no different.

Is there information on the site that is harmful? If not, ignore it. There is another woman the same age I am, with the exact same name, who lives nearby. It is not a common name, though I have no reason to believe we are related. We have a few relatives with the same or similar names, and she was ironically married the same day I was. Random online profiles contain a mixture of our information. Perhaps if she goes on a crime spree I might do something about it, but in the meantime, I figure it makes it that much more difficult for those without a legitimate need to know find all the details of my actual life.

×
×