gt500shelby

can not work for a vendor

I work at a local grocery store here in missouri, I found a job working as a vendor that would be servicing the company that I currently work for. I was told that I cannot take the job because my director of operations, and director of marketing said they would not approve it. There is nothing in the handbook stating you cannot work for businesses that enter the store, it was also stated in front of me that they do need to enforce stricter policies on this matter! Is it legal for them to hold me back from entering the stores, and servicing them? This job is not a competitor instead I would be actually helping the store make money with the products I would be bringing in to the store!

13 hours ago, gt500shelby said:

I was told that I cannot take the job because my director of operations, and director of marketing said they would not approve it.

Told by whom?  Are the "director of operations[] and director of marketing" employees of your current employer or the vendor with whom you want to take the job?  If the former, why do they get a say in the matter?  Or are you saying you'd be taking this job with the vendor and still work for the grocery store (i.e., you'd be moonlighting)?

I'll wait for you to answer these questions before trying to answer yours.

I think what you are saying is that you plan to leave your current job at the grocery store and take a new job working for the vendor. Assuming that's what you meant:

Some employers have their employees sign contracts (non-competes) that limit where ex-employees can work. If you have one of those, you should have it reviewed by a local lawyer to determine whether it would prevent you from taking a job with the vendor, and, if it would, whether it is enforceable under Missouri law.

If you don't have a contract like that with your current employer, then, in general, your current employer probably can't prevent you from taking whatever job you want even if it is with a vendor to your current employer.

yes exactly! I actually had the job, but yesturday I had to let that job know that I could not take it I have already signed the position letter, gone through the drug, and background check. This job would have bettered myself, and my family, it gave us hope because some undo things had come up in our life, and this would have helped it would have been nearly a 5 dollar an hour pay increase we could have used. Is there any possible action I could take against my current employer? Oh and no there are no contracts, or policies written as of now stating we cannot work for other companies that work for the store

1 hour ago, gt500shelby said:

the company I currently work for is saying that I can't work for the vendor.

Based on what?  In your original post, you wrote that you were "told that [you] cannot take the job because [your] director of operations[] and director of marketing said they would not approve it."  I asked if these people are employees of your current employer or the vendor with whom you want to take the job.  Unfortunately, you didn't answer that question.  However, if they are employees of your current employer it begs the question why anyone believes your current employer's "director of operations[] and director of marketing" would have anything to say about you taking another job.

40 minutes ago, gt500shelby said:

Is there any possible action I could take against my current employer?

I'm still not understanding why you or anyone else thinks you cannot simply quit your current job and take another job with any other employer who is willing to hire you.

26 minutes ago, pg1067 said:

Based on what?  In your original post, you wrote that you were "told that [you] cannot take the job because [your] director of operations[] and director of marketing said they would not approve it."  I asked if these people are employees of your current employer or the vendor with whom you want to take the job.  Unfortunately, you didn't answer that question.  However, if they are employees of your current employer it begs the question why anyone believes your current employer's "director of operations[] and director of marketing" would have anything to say about you taking another job.

I'm still not understanding why you or anyone else thinks you cannot simply quit your current job and take another job with any other employer who is willing to hire you.

sorry PG im new to this site I thought I was posting to another thread! Yes both of the mentioned work for my current company. I believe as you do why couldn't I take the job, but the conversation I had was if I did it would not go well for me because both directors will make it hard on me more or less since i would be back in the store chain selling, and placing products in the stores. I missed out on the opportunity for the new job because of these actions. I already signed my letter of acceptance to the new job, and passed the drug, and back ground check. I was not sure if I could take action against this employer for ethical reasons

2 minutes ago, gt500shelby said:

sorry PG im new to this site I thought I was posting to another thread! Yes both of the mentioned work for my current company. I believe as you do why couldn't I take the job, but the conversation I had was if I did it would not go well for me because both directors will make it hard on me more or less since i would be back in the store chain selling, and placing products in the stores. I missed out on the opportunity for the new job because of these actions. I already signed my letter of acceptance to the new job, and passed the drug, and back ground check. I was not sure if I could take action against this employer for ethical reasons

This job would have bettered myself, and my family, it gave us hope because some undo things had come up in our life, and this would have helped it would have been nearly a 5 dollar an hour pay increase we could have used. Is there any possible action I could take against my current employer? Oh and no there are no contracts, or policies written as of now stating we cannot work for other companies that work for the store

18 hours ago, gt500shelby said:

I missed out on the opportunity for the new job

Meaning what?  That you caved to the pressure applied by your current employer.  Unfortunately for you, there's nothing illegal about that.  It wouldn't have surprised me if your current employer applied some pressure directly with the vendor (e.g., "don't hire Bob or we won't use you as a vendor anymore"), but it doesn't sound like that's what happened.  Quitting a job with Employer A in favor of a job with Employer B, where Employer A and Employer B have some sort of business relationship, can be potentially problematic for reasons that might be ethically questionable but which aren't illegal.

The only reason you missed out on an opportunity was that you believed your former employer when he implied that he could control who you worked for. You could have quit your job and gone to work for the vendor and there wouldn't have been anything he could have done about it. He doesn't have to "approve" anything.