NuisanceNeighborsHelp

Nuisance, Running an Illegal Car Repair, and Noise Violation Question

We own a home in Macomb County, MI. The city has the usual laws, such as no noise from 10PM until 7AM, trash, rodents, etc.

February 2017, a rental house across the street saw new tenants move in and they immediately started running a car repair "business" in the garage, driveway, and front lawn. This has brought much unasked for traffic to our street and this type of business is illegal. They work on vehicles from 5PM until about 3AM, every day of the week.

We have complained to the City, they state they are having trouble contacting the owner.  They have fined them and the owner, but the fines have gone unpaid.  We have called Dispatch on nights at around midnight when they have been using very loud car repair tools, such as air compressors, only to have them not show up or give them yet another "warning", but no tickets.  They started a fire on the lawn 3 times by using a gas welder out in the open near the gas lines of the vehicles, the fire dept. came, still nothing has been done.

Every single night this happens and has been ongoing for 5 months.  It is bringing traffic, there is loud noise every night until well into the morning, the property looks blighted and like a junkyard, torn apart cars all over the front.  There is no "quiet enjoyment".  The City and police have done very little to enforce their own laws.

I know this is nuisance and after hours noise, what do we do next?  Send the owner a letter?  Sue in small claims?  When the City has sent the letter with notices and fines to the owner, who lives 4 hours away, he does not answer or pay the fines.  But no one has moved to evict these people and running an auto repair all night long in front of a personal home surrounded by other homes is obviously not legal.  Any ideas?  

Small claims court probably isn't the place to do this.  I suggest that you and your other neighbors who are affected by this pool your resources and hire an attorney to file suit (small claims court is probably not the place to do this).

On 7/29/2017 at 1:30 AM, NuisanceNeighborsHelp said:

We own a home in Macomb County, MI. The city has the usual laws, such as no noise from 10PM until 7AM, trash, rodents, etc.

February 2017, a rental house across the street saw new tenants move in and they immediately started running a car repair "business" in the garage, driveway, and front lawn. This has brought much unasked for traffic to our street and this type of business is illegal. They work on vehicles from 5PM until about 3AM, every day of the week.

We have complained to the City, they state they are having trouble contacting the owner.  They have fined them and the owner, but the fines have gone unpaid.  We have called Dispatch on nights at around midnight when they have been using very loud car repair tools, such as air compressors, only to have them not show up or give them yet another "warning", but no tickets.  They started a fire on the lawn 3 times by using a gas welder out in the open near the gas lines of the vehicles, the fire dept. came, still nothing has been done.

Every single night this happens and has been ongoing for 5 months.  It is bringing traffic, there is loud noise every night until well into the morning, the property looks blighted and like a junkyard, torn apart cars all over the front.  There is no "quiet enjoyment".  The City and police have done very little to enforce their own laws.

I know this is nuisance and after hours noise, what do we do next?  Send the owner a letter?  Sue in small claims?  When the City has sent the letter with notices and fines to the owner, who lives 4 hours away, he does not answer or pay the fines.  But no one has moved to evict these people and running an auto repair all night long in front of a personal home surrounded by other homes is obviously not legal.  Any ideas?  

I know this may be a little late. I rented a home to some bad tenants.  The city only put notices on the door. I had no idea what was going on because I only saw the tenant once a month. I could have started eviction much earlier had I known.

My advice, contact the owner yourself,  they are probably causing all kinds of damage to the property as well.

I was not even notified after they raided the home for drugs. I understand them not telling me in advance, but I would have liked to know. The tenant had all kinds of made up sob stories.

I did not realise how destructive people can be.

9 minutes ago, Mcdian said:

I know this may be a little late.

It is. OP is unlikely to come back to see it. But it's a good message for others to see.

10 minutes ago, Mcdian said:

I did not realise how destructive people can be.

Now you've learned what the rest of us landlords learn. Been there.