Sign in to follow this  
IntriguedM1nd

Speaking to police before an attorney after leaving the scene after auto accident

A family member was in a single vehicle accident, but, he left the scene before cops arrived because he has no license. He called later and spoke to an officer. They asked for him to come in and give a statement in order to get the crash report finished and processed. I think he should seek the advice of an attorney before going, what's the best way to handle this besides the obvious bad decisions that were made! Any help would be appreciated!

22 minutes ago, IntriguedM1nd said:

A family member was in a single vehicle accident, but, he left the scene before cops arrived

"Single vehicle accident" doesn't tell us a whole lot.  What exactly happened?  You wrote that "he left the scene before cops arrived."  Did he drive away or abandon the vehicle and leave on foot?  If he drove away, how do you know that cops ever came to the scene?  Was there any damage to anything other than the car he was driving?

He called later and spoke to an officer.

Why?

19 minutes ago, IntriguedM1nd said:

I think he should seek the advice of an attorney before going,

Why?

19 minutes ago, IntriguedM1nd said:

what's the best way to handle this besides the obvious bad decisions that were made!

Depends on your answers to my questions above.

1 hour ago, IntriguedM1nd said:

A family member was in a single vehicle accident, but, he left the scene before cops arrived because he has no license. He called later and spoke to an officer. They asked for him to come in and give a statement in order to get the crash report finished and processed. I think he should seek the advice of an attorney before going, what's the best way to handle this besides the obvious bad decisions that were made! Any help would be appreciated!

This is what I was told. Yes he left the scene, his vehicle went off the right side and struck a guardrail. Damage to his vehicle and the guardrail. No other vehicles or people where involved. He left the vehicle and left because he panicked due to not having a driver's license. Which was the last thing he should have done period. Basically he called and is turning himself in. I'm sure he took his eyes of the road to plug his phone in order message with the radio but I'm just repeating what was explained to me. Not the best decision maker so a little helpful advice would help him tremendously. I do know that drugs and/or alcohol were not involved.

So he just left his car sitting there?  Has he since regained possession of the car?

If, for example, the car is now in a police impound lot, then he has little choice but to deal with the police.  He obviously can't unring the bell in terms of already having called the cops, but if he doesn't have to deal with the cops....  At this point, though, it's probably too late to go back.  He's likely to get a fat bill to repair the guardrail and he'll have to deal with the fallout from driving without a license (and, presumably, without insurance).  So, yes, consulting with a local attorney would probably be the best way to go.