Penny913

Was in accident; insurance company of at- fault driver not cooperating

I was in an accident where I was hit by a person driving a rental car. I have been going through the third party insurance company that handles their rental car, since they were liable for the damages. It has now been 9 days since the accident. I have already given my statement and police report, and was informed that an appraiser would come to evaluate the damages on my vehicle. No one has come to look at my car, and it has been a constant hassle of calling the adjuster for this claim over and over until I finally get an answer. I was told by this adjuster that it could take two weeks to get me into a rental car, which doesn't make sense to me. My car is completely non- drivable and it has been extremely difficult just trying to find a way to get to work everyday. I feel that I should have been in a rental car this entire time, until the repairs are done, but this adjuster has been consistently unresponsive. Where do I go from here? 

You don't need permission to get a rental car.  Just go get one.  If you are going to pursue the claim against the at fault party, submit the billing to them for payment once your car is repaired.  You are currently giving the insurance company a free ride.

It's usually better to go through your own insurance because it's faster.  Your insurance should repay your deductible when it recovers from the insurer from the at fault party.  If you are hurt, contact a PI attorney and stop talking to the adjuster for the at fault party's insurer.

3 hours ago, Penny913 said:

Where do I go from here? 

Have you ever seen the phrase "Delay is the deadliest form of denial"?

You've already wasted too much time on this.

Get your own insurance company to handle it under your collision coverage.

54 minutes ago, Penny913 said:

I assumed going though my own insurance would mean accepting liability, and having to pay my deductible.

Why?  If you have collision coverage, it will pay for damage to your covered auto resulting from a collision, regardless of legal liability.  You will need to pay your deductible.  However, as "wlight63" hinted at in his prior response, if the other driver is at fault, your insurer will seek recovery from the other driver and/or his insurer and, if it makes full recovery, your insurer will reimburse your deductible.  If you don't understand how your insurance works, sit down with an insurance agent or do some googling.  It's very important to understand how auto insurance works and what it does and doesn't cover.

×
×