Gigme

Friend Problems

My daughter bumped into the back of her best friend's car doing approximately ½ mile per hour.  They were following each other in a long line of traffic when my daughter bumped her car.  They both got out and looked and there was no visible damage, no paint transfer, etc.  They did not file a report and they did not take pictures.  This friend's car was rear ended previously and from her own statements, they never got the damage repaired.

Now, this friends parents are going to get an estimate on her car and they expect us to pay for damages.  My question is, can they do this?  Do they have to prove that my daughter's car caused the "damage" before we pay for anything?  Should we pay for anything?  Should we just submit it to our insurance company and let them handle it?  I'm at a loss here.  I don't know why they didn't do this with the previous accident, but I do have my suspicions.  This friend's parents are very wealthy.  We are not.  However, my thought is they are doing this because they know us (we are friends) and think they can manipulate us into paying for damages that they can't prove my daughter caused.

Anyway, any answers to my above questions are greatly appreciated.

Much thanks!

Report it to your insurance company.  That is why you have insurance.  The insurance company will interview your daughter who can inform them there was no visible damage and that the vehicle had previously been damaged.  Let the insurance company take it from there.

Agree with the other responses. Take dated photos of the front of her car and tell your insurance company's claim rep that you want her car inspected to compare its condition to the condition of the friend's vehicle.

An experienced adjuster will be able to tell that there was pre-existing damage.

DO NOT deal with these people on your own.

Thank you all for your replies, it is indeed very much appreciated.  I figured the best way to deal with this is through our insurance company, but was hoping for something different.  Considering that friends are hard to come by as adults, I was hoping they wouldn't go this route.  Unfortunately, they are not "friends".  These people own 18 hair salons in my state and needless to say, make an incredible living.  I find it shameful that they are doing this, but am happy to know their true character.

Thanks again for the great advice and the quick responses!

1 hour ago, Gigme said:

My daughter bumped into the back of her best friend's car doing approximately ½ mile per hour.

I assume you meant that your daughter was driving a car that bumped into her friend's car.  Also, I assume that you weren't present when this happened and are therefore simply repeating what she told you.

1 hour ago, Gigme said:

Now, this friends parents are going to get an estimate on her car and they expect us to pay for damages.

Do the friend's parents own the car?  Why would they expect you -- as opposed to your daughter -- to pay the damage?  How old are your daughter and her friend?

1 hour ago, Gigme said:

My question is, can they do this?

Can they get an estimate?  Of course they can.  Can "they expect [you] to pay for damages"?  Of course.  They can "expect" anything they like.

1 hour ago, Gigme said:

Do they have to prove that my daughter's car caused the "damage" before we pay for anything?

Well...you have no obligation to pay anything until and unless you agree to do so or a court rules that you must pay.  If they sue, they'll have the burden of proof.  If they want you to pay voluntarily, then you can set whatever conditions you want on that.

1 hour ago, Gigme said:

Should we pay for anything?

Depends on how you answer the questions I asked.

1 hour ago, Gigme said:

Should we just submit it to our insurance company and let them handle it?

Nothing in your post suggests that your insurance will provide coverage for the accident you described.  However, if, in fact, the accident is within the scope of your policy's coverage, then this is exactly why you have insurance, right?

Your assumptions are correct.  My daughter and her friend are 18 years old.  My daughter is covered under our insurance.  Her friend's parents own the car.  

I just received the estimate and I have forwarded it on to my insurance company.  I will wait to hear what they have to say and go from there.

I appreciate your questions and your answers!

I agree with letting my daughter deal with this.  What a great lesson that being an adult sometimes sucks!  As she just graduated high school 5 days ago, we are going to guide her through this process and hope for the best.  

Thanks so much for the advice :)