Jan15

Car Towed From Workplace

I just started a new job and was required to go out of town on business.  The company rented a car for me and two other employees to use on our trip.  I was told to park for the week where I normally do.  A few days into our trip, we were notified our cars were towed because maintenance decided last minute to re-pave the parking lot.  I have a 2017 with a manual transmission.  The cars were towed away, and when they realized they were ours, they were towed back.  I had the car in first gear with the parking break on.  If they towed the car from the front, it put stress on my e-break cable and my rear breaks.  If they towed it from the back, it put stress on my clutch and transmission.  Are they obligated to do anything other than replace parts if they are broken?  A clutch and transmission can take a while before they go out because of abuse.  I have only had the car three months and was not only authorized to park there for a week, but required by them.

Do I understand that you don't have any damages to your automobile but you are concerned that you might on some future day?  Ordinarily I would suggest that someone in your situation speak with his or her supervisor, but if I were your supervisor I wouldn't take too kindly to someone coming to me with a concern about something that hasn't happened yet.  Yes, I understand your car was towed improperly, but what is it that you want exactly?  You haven't suffered any damages.  I imagine driving on anything but highways would cause stress to your clutch and what you describe hardly sounds like "abuse."

If the emergency brake was on and the transmission was in first gear the car would have to be put on a dolly to tow. No competent tow truck operator would tow a vehicle in the condition you suggest without taking the necessary step of putting the wheels on a dolly.

1 hour ago, Jan15 said:

I was told to park for the week where I normally do.

Told by whom?  Where is it that you normally park?  On company property?  On property owned by someone other than your employer but which is made available for parking by your employer's employees?

1 hour ago, Jan15 said:

A few days into our trip, we were notified our cars were towed because maintenance decided last minute to re-pave the parking lot.

Notified by whom?  For whom does "maintenance" work?

1 hour ago, Jan15 said:

If they towed the car from the front, it put stress on my e-break cable and my rear breaks.  If they towed it from the back, it put stress on my clutch and transmission.

The fact that you have stated two contradictory possibilities suggests that you don't know which happened (if either) and, if you don't know whether the car was towed from the back or the front, then you also cannot know whether whoever did the towing disengaged the parking brake and/or put the transmission in neutral.  Right?  Towing companies pretty commonly understand that these things need to be done in order for a tow to be done properly.  Is there some reason why you think that the person who did the towing might have been a complete moron?

1 hour ago, Jan15 said:

Are they obligated to do anything other than replace parts if they are broken?

I'm not sure who "they" are, but if the towing company damaged your car, it likely will be obligated to pay the reasonable cost of repair.  What more could you possibly want?

×
×