Sign in to follow this  
Frenchforever

Workers Comp Question

Hi 

Does Workers Comp covers the employee from his home to the business, and in lunch hour?

Example 1

The employee gets in at work at 8 am, is he cover from home to work either in car or walking?

Example 2

Is he covered in Lunch Hour?

Let's say he drives to a Macdonald and then comes back to work, was he covered under WC?

Thats a good question, because I was in a simple lar situation, except, I am on wc, and was on my way to suegery.  On the way to the hospital for my surgery and was involved in a car accident, although made every attempt to get to the hospital including having the officer talking to the hospital because they was going to bring me so i wouldnt miss surgery, well surgery didnt happen and was postponed for a week later.  My adjuster had contacted me and said that i didn’t quilify for payment for that week, because of non compliance.

Worker's comp law varies from state to state but generally, accidents that occur during lunch breaks and commute are not covered. However, there are some instances when companies cover accidents or injuries that happen during breaks or travel.

In your first example, you may be entitled to worker's comp if you were driving/walking to work to meet a client. You may also be eligible for worker's comp if you got injured while driving a company-owned vehicle. For the driving-to-McDonalds-to-grab lunch scenario, you most likely won't be covered if you were out to get food for yourself and/or co-workers. But, if you were injured while picking up lunch for your manager, boss, or the owner, then you might get worker's comp.

Speak to an attorney if you need more information on worker's comp and its benefits and limitations, or if you have a case to consult. My answer is not intended to provide legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.