dr

used car lemon law..??

8 posts in this topic

A car was sold to a guy after the buyers drove,inspected and took the vin number to check it out. The next day they came and bought the car. A week later he gets oil change and says the bottom of car is rusted and wants his money back. Nothing was hid,no games just straight up sold the car. The vin number clearly says it was a New Hampshire car on car fax. 16 years old to boot. Question..what recourse do you think he has...if any. Is there such a thing as a used car lemon law..???

Probably no recourse.  Used car sales are on "as is" basis in the absence of an express warranty or misrepresentation, and "lemon laws" typically apply only to new car sales (you can google "south carolina lemon law" to confirm).

Yes Sir I have and what you say is what I found on SC lemon law ....it only applies to new cars. I feel sure the buyers will come to see this sooner or later . I realize this is a forum and there will be opinions. and the buyers will try to scare the Bejesus out of of someone..with lawyer letters and so on..Thank you for your reply.

I've sold a lot of cars in my time. Here's how I would handle it:

"You saw it, you inspected it, you drove it, you bought it AS IS, now go away and never bother me again."

I've never had to say that to anybody because I make two copies of a bill of sale that says "AS IS, no warranties or guarantees of any kind." Buyer and seller sign both and each keeps a copy. I also fill in the buyer's name and address in the buyer's spot on the title. I scan a copy of that, too. Then I take my plates off the car and the buyer uses his temporary tag to drive away with the car. Then I go on line to the DMV, fill out the on line sold notice and save a copy of that, too.

"You saw it, you inspected it, you drove it, you bought it AS IS, now go away and never bother me again."

Yup, tried to be nice but this may have to be said.....and Yes, Plates of car and insurance removed next day..

Develop a thicker skin. The only thing that matters is somebody serving you a summons and complaint from a court.

Until then you are free to block calls, block emails, block texts, hang up the phone, ignore letters (even from lawyers), etc.