mike1491

Forced poperty sale

Hello.

Ten years ago our mother passed away and us four children inherited her house. We each own one-quarter interest in the property, and at her passing we all verbally agree that myself

and my younger brother could live in the house for free as long as we paid the property taxes and upkeep which we have done. I've been in a wheelchair for thirty-five years and my brother

is on social security disability as am I.  My current income is less than $1200 a month and my brother is a little more.  Now my sister decided she wants to sell her interest for $100,000. and

she knows we don't have any money.  My sister and her husband make over one-hundred thousand annualy, and recently sold their home for nearly nine hundred thousand and want to

buy a bigger house--reason to sell my house.  I know the law is on her side but I don't want to sell.  I've lived in this house since I was four years old, is their anything I can do to save my home?

Probably not.  Your physical condition, the length of time you have lived in the property, and any verbal agreements you may have made are all irrelevant to the right of the co-owner to force the sale of the property.  However, you will be entitled to your share of the proceeds from the sale.  So, the more you cooperate the more beneficial it may be to you.

Your question doesn't seem to raise any legal issue.  Your sister owns a valuable asset that is, as far as she is concerned, providing her with no benefit, and she shouldn't be made to endure that condition indefinitely.  If you cannot afford to buy her out (whether with or without mortgaging the property), then the property should be sold and the proceeds divided between the four joint owners.  If each person's share is worth roughly $100k, then you should be able to use that money to secure alternate housing.

sorry I just make a guess

I guess it happen to my country , i do not know if that's applicable to US.

In my country, i guess we also has  force to sell policy .. such as, any co-ownership of joint property has the right to dissolve the relationship of joint property through compulsory sale or auction or foreclosure in the court,,.. if anyone with fraction portion of property can not afford to buy off the other co-ownership of joint property.........If it's land, the land probably can be divided evenly into several parts according to its size. ...., if its a building , to solve problem of co-ownership, court probably probably decide to public auction or foreclosure.to solve issue of co-ownership  

But I don't  know if do not know if US also has similar type of rules. .as my country .......... articles, that specifically addressed, that if portion of joint property owned by co-owner exceed more than 2/3 of joint property, one has managing power to administrate how the house be used or whether it shall be sold ..

Perhaps to look into state civil code ,chapter property, i guess..

I truly hope ur things will be resolved peacefully.^^

On 2/11/2017 at 8:31 AM, akulamasusu said:

I guess it happen to my country , i do not know if that's applicable to US.

The words "I guess" appear three times in your post.  If you don't know what you're talking about -- which you obviously don't -- it would be far better if you not clutter up the boards with posts that serve no purpose other than to tell us you don't know what you're talking about.