trstfndr

Searching for Family Trust

Hey all,

Starting to look and see if there is a family trust connected to my immediate or previous generation.  I am not sure where to start and am hoping this site will offer some key starting points.

I am unsure if a trust was created in Wisconsin or Illinois.  I know a few names it maybe under so if I knew the places to search I could input a few likely matches.  

Is it likely a trust maybe setup in another state than where the one setting it up may reside?

If it is in one of the states listed above, what are the avenues to investigate?

Any searching you know or have done in the past without a lawyer to yield results would be greatly appreciated to know.

Thanks for your time!

Looking.

Trusts are not usually recorded anywhere.  Privacy and confidentiality are key elements of setting up a trust.  Your only clue miighht be if you find real estate that is deeded to "XXXX, Trustee"  Then you would have to ask XXXX to allow you to read the trust document.  If the trust only contains personalty, such as bank or securities accounts, there will be no public record of the trust.

If you think someone has created a trust in which you are a beneficiary you should ask them.

Your questions don't make much of any sense.  If you think someone in your family's "immediate or previous generation" created a trust, feel free to ask your family members about it.  Trusts almost never get recorded or filed in public records, and even if one were filed/recorded, it would take an inordinate amount of time and effort to locate it if you can only narrow things down to two entire states.

×
×