Sign in to follow this  
Phenomicon

Revisiting Title IX lawsuit?

In 1994 an appeal was filed on a lawsuit concerning Title IX rights in an Oregon prison. The appellate court reversed the district court's decision that parity, not equality, was required in vocational and educational programs when it came to men and women's prisons. The language was very clear that women should be receiving the same educational opportunities that the men were, even if there are less women. Today, there is one college class offered at the women's prison, even though there is a college affiliated with the GED program there. At most of the men's prisons, there are numerous classes offered through their local community colleges. What should I do, as a female prisoner who is seeking education, to enforce or have this lawsuit reexamined? I do not know the process, but believe I have some type of recourse.

It all depends upon how the lawsuit ended 27 years ago. If there was a consent decree that did not expire, you would proceed under the consent decree. If it ended with a judgment and case closed, it would depend upon what the judgment said and if they complied with it 20+ years ago. If so, you may have to file again. If you can, find out who the lawfirm was that handled it then and see if they are still there and if so can advise you how to proceed.

Susan pearce was the attorney. She has been written and is no longer in practice.

I could only find this appeal because our legal computers only give us access to appeals, both federal and state. The opinion states that "the judgment of the district court is reversed in part, affirmed in part, and remanded for further proceedings using the standards defined in this opinion. On remand, the district court's application of these standards may result in some of the same ultimate conclusions as it has already reached in its [findings]. However, because the standards used by the district court were in some respects different from those that we now define, reconsideration on remand is necessary." 

Where would I be able to find a copy of the remanded case? Would I have to contact the district court and get a copy of their opinion? Or is there another way to get these files?