Jump to content

Transferred to a new State

Recommended Posts

I was injured in one state and moved a year or so later to a new state. The workers comp rules and regulation variances between the two states has made it very difficult to receive medical treatment. 

My physician of record in the new state refused to follow the guidelines of the state where i was injured and subsequently dropped me as a patient. It took me three years to find a new doctor that would accept the out of state workers comp insurance and follow the guidelines! During that period, i had to go outside of the w/c system for medical treatments hoping that i would be reimbursed after a new doctor was found and a new treatment plan was accepted. This is not the case. My lawyer has informed me that it is NOT likely that i will be reimbursed for these medical expenses because i did not follow the protocols of the state where i was injured.
I would think that in the year 2017 in the USA, workers comp benefits would transfer easily to all 50 states! Are there any laws that would help me in this regard? 
I was injured in Hawaii and moved to Ohio. Hawaii has an open insurance w/c system wherein insurance is purchased from various insurance companies . Ohio has a statewide workers comp system; the insurance is purchased from the state. The statewide system is very streamlined and rigid and the medical professionals have declined to treat out of state injured workers.
Please let me know your thoughts on this issue and if there are any laws or directives concerning insurance portability.
Thanks in advance.
Mark (NoAloha)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

WC is governed by the states so there is no nationwide WC guideline. No state requires a doctor to treat a patient- aside from life threatening conditions- so doctors can and do limit who they will take on as a patient by the type of insurance. WC notoriously reimburses at a much lower rate than other forms of insurance or payment. There are also different protocols for treating when it is WC and not all practices want to deal with multiple sets of rules.Your lawyer is correct that your employer's WC carrier is not required to incur higher expenses because you moved, or sought treatment they did not authorize. Even if you had moved to another state with an open system like Hawaii, it can be difficult to find a practice willing to jump through the hoops of another state's regulations.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...