Sign in to follow this  
Liberdad2016

Lease

I was giving a verbal monthly rent amount of 645 dollars a month for a 1 bedroom.  On the Saturday I was to pay the security deposit the system went down so I was given a tablet and told sign here this will hold it for you.  I thought it was just something showing I was interested.  all I was able to see was "X__________________.  I went back the next day Sunday and paid security depotsit and asked for the lease and was told I would get it when its ready.  I then went to pay the rent $645.  On the receipts I got it cleary shows $645 future rent.  Not $645 discounted rent for the month of July.  I moved in June 29.  In August, a month after, I thought the rent was $640 and sent the check  At the end of the month I received a $150 bill for late fee and being short $80.  I called the rental office and was told the rent was $720.  I was never given a paper copy of a lease to sign and I never got one. a week later I sent a link to view the lease i never physically signed.  I am behind on the late fees $225 and 75 on September Rent.  I pay my bill by the grace period of the 5th but they keep charging me a late fee of $50 for not having it in on the 1st.  Yet they put me in the bad financial situation to being with.  

I had originally turned down their other unit at a different location a TWO bedroom for $740 as my youngest son moved out.  So I looked for a cheaper one bed room for me and my diabled son thinking he can sleep on the sofa until he moves out.  He's is not ready to live alone so he is with me yet.  Why would I take a one bedroom for $720 when I could have had a two bedroom for $20 dollars more.  In any case they refuse to stick to the $645 and keep charging me a late fee even if I pay within the grace period.

should I bother with small claims?

SOS HELP.

So did you sign the agreement on the tablet?

Did you ever ASK for a paper copy of your lease?

You need to take your documents to a local attorney who specializes in landlord/tenant law.  If it is true that your receipts show the statement "$645.00 for future rent" then it's obvious you have been deceived or tricked, and the fact that you were not given a paper copy of your lease to review before signing is troublesome.  Your attorney may be able to discover that this landlord has violated you state law (what state is this in, anyway) and your attorney may be able to intervene on your behalf to either get you out of the lease or to negotiate to have the late charges removed.