Sign in to follow this  
anonjuice420

looking for knowledge

Hello im looking for the set guidelines police have to follow pretty much like there code of conduct and the laws they have to follow for search warrants, and for starting investigations like looking at a person suspected as a crime. rules and regs for C.I. for them watching a target if someone could point me in the right direction to finding this that would be very helpful

"Codes of conduct" are determined by the particular police department as is the use of CI's and what would serve as a basis for investigating someone or something.  Often all is required is no better than a hunch, a step below reasonable suspicion.  Obtaining search warrants must, at a minimum, meet the probable cause requirement under the 4th amendment.

As far as laws the police have to follow with respect to search warrants, you can start with the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (and I assume the PA Constitution has a roughly analogous provision).  For "guidelines" or a "code of conduct," you'd have to conduct individual police departments.

If there is something in particular you'd like to know, feel free to ask.

17 minutes ago, Hasquestions said:

If one asks the police department for any rules or procedures, do they have to release these to you? Are they considered public documents? Or, can one get them thru FOIA?

"FOIA" is a federal law that wouldn't apply to local police agencies.  While most (if not all) states have enacted a similar law, whether it would apply to the sorts of documents under discussion here would depend on the particulars of the applicable state's laws.  According to a quick google search, there are nearly 18,000 state and local law enforcement agencies in the U.S., so it's obviously not possible to state any generalities with any degree of accuracy, I doubt most agencies would give out copies of these documents simply for the asking.