Sign in to follow this  
Icantbelievethis

Bail jumping

My son initially was charged with burglary.  bonded out then arrested carrying a concealed deadly weapon into the courthouse ( it was a utility knife with compass in a credit card size). Of which he showed the police then bonded out for that arrest.    He went to court without a lawyer to plead not guilty and was  told if  he didnt come back at 1:30 the same day with a lawyer the commonwealth said he would revoke his bond. It was an arainment and I didnt know you had to have a lawyer.   Couldn't get his lawyer to return call and  my son didn't return.  the next day he was late for his court appearance on burglary charges and lawyer wouldn't meet him and go in to talk to judge.  He then was picked up by police 5 days later.. he now has a 1st degree bail jumping charge.  Would the judge consider a failure to appear charge from bail jumping.?..

Yes:

520.070 Bail jumping in the first degree. (1) A person is guilty of bail jumping in the first degree when, having been released from custody by court order, with or without bail, upon condition that he will subsequently appear at a specified time and place in connection with a charge of having committed a felony, he intentionally fails to appear at that time and place. (2) In any prosecution for bail jumping, the defendant may prove in exculpation that his failure to appear was unavoidable and due to circumstances beyond his control. (3) Bail jumping in the first degree is a Class D felony.