Cymrygirl

Numbers transposed on mortgage paperwork

The address on our mortgage paperwork has been wrong ever since we've had it (about 10 years).  We didn't even realize it for quite a while ourselves.  Frankly, I don't even think about it that often, in the busyness of life, but when I do think about it, it really bothers me.  I don't know how it got mixed up, but our property address number is supposed to be 89.  It's 89 on our mailing address and it's 89 on our property tax bill.  However, on our mortgage paperwork and to our mortgage company, it's 98.  When we refinanced with a different company a couple years ago, we brought this up when we signed the paperwork with the attorney who came to our home, and we were told it would be fixed, but it never was, even though he crossed out "98" and wrote "89" on the paperwork we signed.  In fact, we had to send the mortgage broker an e-mail saying we were aware that the property address and the mailing address were different, which was fine with us, and we thought nothing else of it.  Since then, the refinance has been sold to a different mortgage company, as often happens.   There seems to be no problem with the tax bill being paid to our county.  They always apply the tax payment from our escrow to the correct property, so the plat number, etc., seems to be fine.  However, I am concerned that something might come up about it down the road somewhere, perhaps in connection with insurance (such as if we have a problem that needs to be fixed), or having to do with whether we actually own the property once we pay it off.  Whenever I have called the mortgage company about it and they have asked me if the property address and our mailing address were the same, I must admit that I have said yes because they have given me grief about it in the past and when I've called them, I just want to resolve the problem I'm calling them about.  I want to fix this, but I am afraid it will create more problems than it will fix, or that it will take a lot of money to fix.  Please advise me as to if this is a problem, and if so, how much of a problem it could be and how best to fix it.  I really stress about this sometimes.  I have read some answers to this and similar questions online and they seem to suggest that as long as the lot number, etc. is correct, there's no real problem.  

Thanks.

Deana S.

Edited by FindLaw_RE
This post has been edited to remove personal identifying information --Moderator

It is not clear where in the mortgage paperwork the error is found.  Most often in official documents dealing with real estate the property will be described as something like "lot x, section x, block z, in the subdivision of def, more commonly referred to as 89 Main Street."  If that is where the error occured you have nothing to worry about. The legal definition is the lot, section, block, and subdivision number, not the address.  Similarly, the property's identification for tax purposes is the tax id number, not the address. The streetaddress is assigned for purposes of postal delivery and emergency response, not legal ownership.  Consider that even the street names may change sometime in the future.  That would not invalidate your ownership.  If the error only occurs in the mortgage documents it has even less significance.

Relax.  

Thanks for the reassurance.  We are at my in-laws' for Thanksgiving, so I don't have the documents right handy, but when we get home tomorrow I will check.  As far as I know, the only discrepancy is that the 8 and 9 are transposed on the documents.  The tax bill, which I checked a couple weeks ago, gives our address as 89, and our homestead exemption sticker for 2017 came right to us.  I can tell you that, when we get the mortgage payment coupon, many times the post office has written "89" on the envelope, but they've never given us a problem with delivering correspondence.  The only thing I can think of that might have happened is this:  on the same property sits an old chicken house that my dad, several years ago, used as a shop to store his tools and other things like lawn machines.  He had power run to the shop, and had to have an address associated with it, so I think that's where the 98 came from. At least that's how my husband remembers it.  Our double-wide sits next to the shop.  We got the property in a land-home package, and we bought the property from my mom and my aunt.  It used to be part of my Granddaddy's cow pasture.  In fact, my husband said last night that he thinks he remembers it actually being two small lots that were combined into one when we bought it.  It's been so long ago that I don't remember, but I do know we have a survey map in our paperwork and the tax bill comes to the 89 address.  I just didn't know if the mortgage company would come back later and give us a problem if I suddenly said "no, the mailing address is different."  

Happy Thanksgiving!

You need to get the problem resolved before any potential future complications come up.  It will NOT be expensive.

Is there no one at the previous mortgage company you could contact about this?  Ask any real estate agent or real estate attorney if title insurance is supposed to correct this problem, if you did in fact purchase title insurance when the transaction was done.