cmariaw

"Social services" concerns

I am 8 Months pregnant with a past history of mental illness. Minor psychosis. Auditory hallucinations. I am no longer on medication. Haven't been on any medications for 2 years. I never attempted suicide or tried to harm anyone else. Ob told me I needed a psychological evaluation based off my past history. I do not want one. He said if I refuse, social services could be involved at the time of birth for the "well being of the child". The child's father has been to every prenatal appointment. We live together. 

I am wondering what are my rights and the fathers rights as far as not participating in an evaluation and not having to worry about our child being taken away?

There has been no formal complaint, as far as I'm aware, to dcfs regarding my family. However, should anyone show up at the hospital or my home after birth trying to assess my child, myself, or my home, what can I do in order to be prepared to protect my family?

Thank you. 

Protect your family by being prepared to go to court to resisting the removal of the child.  To physically resist could result in your incarceration which would clearly not benefit your family.  i would also strongly suggest you comply with the requirement for evaluation.  If you do not you will essentially strengthen the case against you.

Hi @cmariaw

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! You may also want to consider speaking with an experienced Family Law attorney before the arrival of your baby to make sure you take all appropriate steps. You can click here for a free consultation with an attorney, or use the FindLaw Lawyer Directory to find an attorney near you.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team

If you and the father are not married, he has zero legal right to the child until paternity has been legally established, typically through the court. If you do not comply with the evaluation, your OB (or any other concerned party) certainly can report their concern to social services. It will be up to social services to investigate and determine a course of action. The most uncooperative you are, the more difficult you make it for your family and baby.