Sign in to follow this  
toughluv2day

Need Help Evicting my son

Hello,

I am needing to evict my son who was supposed to just be staying a few days.  It has now been over 3 months with no rent or bill payments made on his behalf.  He is not on my lease and may even be getting me into trouble because I shouldn't have anyone there.  He just doesn't care.  He says he has rights and I cannot put him out.  He is threatening me and trying to bully me around.  I am ready to do whatever I can legally do in order to regain my peace.  Please advise me on what steps to take to make sure he will not be able to gain entry into my home anymore.

Thanks,

Do some research to see if there are some local homeless shelters or places like Salvation Army who could give him a place to live while he may possibly make an effort to rebuild his life, or does he have friends who will let him live with them?

Please give serious consideration to have a local law enforcement official (or someone who is NOT you) deliver the eviction notice, if possible.  If you fear he might react violently now or at some point in the future, you need to check at the county courthouse to determine whether you wish to file a restraining order against him and/or whether you would want to temporarily stay at a local women's shelter if there is a possibility of domestic violence, so that you could be safe until he has left and has gotten his belongings out of the home.

You would be smart to let your landlord know about this situation--they have undoubtedly faced a similar situation in the past and they may be willing to assist you and/or help with the forcible entry and detainer lawsuit by filing it themselves, since it would be in their best interest to get him out.