Sign in to follow this  
Tristabell

Robbed by tenant

I bought 4 brand new appliances for my home and my tenant hasn't paid rent in 5months and  stole all of them and sold them. she also stole $30.000 from me in 5 months. Now she is claiming that she is disabled and has no where to go and will not leave,,, What should I do?

Hi @Tristabell

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! So sorry to hear about your nightmare tenant! Doucar is correct, you should strongly consider contacting the police about the theft. Those appliances did not belong to your tenant, and were not hers to sell. How was she able to steal $30,000 from you? You should also serve your tenant with a notice of eviction, so you can commence an unlawful detainer action to have your tenant removed from the unit (if she refuses to leave on her own). It does not matter if she does not have anywhere to go...she signed a contract agreeing to pay rent in exchange for living in your unit. Not paying rent for 5 months in a row is a violation of this contract, and you are justified in evicting her.

FindLaw has a lot of helpful resources about evicting tenants:

Regarding the stolen appliances, this is damage to the apartment that you can deduct from the security deposit. It is likely that the cost of the appliances exceeds the amount of the security deposit, so you may need to initiate a lawsuit to recover your damages (and include the stolen $30,000). To speak with a landlord/tenant attorney in your area, you can use the FindLaw Lawyer Directory.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team

19 hours ago, Tristabell said:

I bought 4 brand new appliances for my home and my tenant hasn't paid rent in 5months and  stole all of them and sold them. she also stole $30.000 from me in 5 months.

So...we've got (1) appliances sold and the cash pocketed; (2) five months of unpaid rent; and (3) an additional $30,000 stolen?  How did she steal the $30k?

19 hours ago, Tristabell said:

What should I do?

If you really need others to tell you that you should report the alleged theft(s) to the police and start the eviction process, you need to get out of the landlord business ASAP.