Sign in to follow this  
mojo

Question on seller/buyer agreement

My cousin is selling a lake house in southwest MO.  The potential buyer put down 500.00 earnest money.  They found that there were repairs to the house that needed to be made upon inspection, and my cousin agreed to make the repairs, the repairs have been made and the property reinspected, the repairs amount to almost 10,000.00 .   She also gave them a home warranty and a 3000.00 carpet allowance.   The buyer wants to walk away.   I am curious if the agreement is binding or can they be sued for cost of the repairs on the property?

Edited by mojo

15 hours ago, mojo said:

I am curious if the agreement is binding

What agreement?  I assume there's a contract between your cousin and the buyer that relates to the sale/purchase of the house, but we obviously have no idea of the specific terms of that contract.  That said, you've given us no reason to think that agreement might not be enforceable.  Is there some reason you think it might not be enforceable?  You also wrote that your "cousin agreed to make repairs," but also that he/she made the repairs, so it doesn't sound like there's anything to enforce as relates to that agreement.  Right?

15 hours ago, mojo said:

can they be sued for cost of the repairs on the property?

I'm not sure who "they" are (the buyer and who else?).  Anyone "can . . . be sued."  Determining whether any lawsuit is viable is, of course, a completely different question.  If the buyer walks away from the deal, your cousin might have a valid claim for breach of the sale/purchase agreement.  However, I can think of no reason why the cost of the repairs would be an element of damages for which your cousin might recover.