Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Federal District Court

Guest Guest

I teach School Law in a Graduate Education program. I know that certain federal district court cases are reported in the Federal Supplement and cited volume F.Supp. number, but I am not certain how to reference a case if it is not in the Supplement? How is that done?

Also, what is the reference for the Newdow v. Newdow v. Elk Grove United School District in the Eastern District Court of California. Thanks for your help.

First of all, not all federal district court decisions not published in F. Supp. (currently, F. Supp. 2d) are publicly available (other than by accessing the court's docket online or pulling the file at the court clerk's office). Sometimes, decisions are "published" by the U.S. Patent Quarterly (cited as __ U.S.P.Q.2d __) or on Lexis or Westlaw (cited [year] U.S. Dist. Lexis __ or [year] WL __).

As for the Newdow case (and, by the way, I believe it's UNIFIED School Dist., not "United"), there's more than one district court opinion. One of them, which came after the SCOTUS decision, is found at 383 F. Supp. 2d 1229 (2005). If you shepardize, you should be able to find any others that are available.