donmarie

What defines business days when declining a contract?

Wanted to cancel a contract and I counted Saturday and Sunday as non business days and the company states that Saturday is considered a business day in Massachusetts since the post office is open!!!I have never heard of this...can anyone enlighten me thanks

According to Mass Law, any day that is not a Sunday or Legal Holiday: MGL c.4, s.9 : Time for performance of acts performable on Sunday or holiday "Except as otherwise provided, when the day or the last day for the performance of any act, including the making of any payment or tender of payment, authorized or required by statute or by contract, falls on Sunday or a legal holiday, the act may, unless it is specifically authorized or required to be performed on Sunday or on a legal holiday, be performed on the next succeeding business day."

I could find no law excluding Saturday from business day.

As noted above, MGL 4-9 seems to define Saturday to be a "business day" (although not because the post office is open on Saturday).  Does the contract in question expressly give you a right to cancel within three business days?  If not, why do you think you have or had such a right?  What sort of contract is it.

the contract was for a bathroom remodel which I decided the price was way too expensive for the work being done so I just assumed that 3 business days was Friday Monday and Tuesday not Friday Saturday ad Monday.....now the want a third of the entire job since I cancelled late (one day according to their understanding of business days) that is 4000 thousand dollars!!!!!

You didn't answer a couple of my questions:  Does the contract in question expressly give you a right to cancel within three business days?  If not, why do you think you have or had such a right?

Also, where was the contract executed?