Sign in to follow this  
Dougjens816

Sold car that was in an accident

The car was not totaled. I do not know the severity yet, I plan on taking it to a shop to get a better idea of what the damage is. I was sold the car certified pre owned. Soon after I purchased the car I had to take it in for a repair. On the invoice for the repair the technician notated that the car had been in a front end collision. The paint on the bumper has been coming off, and you can see the panels on the front end are not aligned anymore. The dealership has offered to repaint the bumper and try to align the hood. 

1 hour ago, Dougjens816 said:

Is it illegal for a dealership to sell you a car that was in an accident, no matter the severity, without informing you before purchase?

No, but a prospective purchaser of a used vehicle has the following rights:  (1) to request that the dealer provide a vehicle history report; (2) to obtain a vehicle history report on his/her own; and (3) to refuse to purchase a vehicle without reviewing a vehicle history report.  Of course, those rights are only meaningful if they are exercised.

As far as I can tell, the only disclosure required by used car dealers in Illinois is the requirement in 625 ILCS 5/5-102(i) that "[a]ll persons licensed as a used vehicle dealer are required to furnish each purchaser of a motor vehicle:  1. A certificate of title properly assigned to the purchaser; 2. A statement verified under oath that all identifying numbers on the vehicle agree with those on the certificate of title; 3. A bill of sale properly executed on behalf of such person; 4. A copy of the Uniform Invoice-transaction reporting return referred to in Section 5-402 of this Chapter; 5. In the case of a rebuilt vehicle, a copy of the Disclosure of Rebuilt Vehicle Status; and 6. In the case of a vehicle for which the warranty has been reinstated, a copy of the warranty."

29 minutes ago, Dougjens816 said:

I was sold the car certified pre owned.

Every manufacturer/dealer defines this differently, so one would need to review the specific language of the certification to know the significance.