Mellbell37

If I need advice on discrimination by at least five major corporations concerning me and my service animal

Hey guys I don't want to put anybody on blast yet, but to name a few the R****, A. golf resort, V**** M****, S*****, M********, believe it or not the list goes on and on.. And they all did about the same thing to me. I have a service animal for my disability and I bring her with me everywhere for the most part.. I had rented a room at the R****** and at the A. golf resort and they both kicked me out because of my dog!! They did not believe  she is a service animal despite my showing paperwork, (which I do not have to furnish or provide to anyone)... They kicked me out, kept my money for the night refusing the refund. The other businesses asked me to leave, one told me she's not a service animal.. The other called the manager the manager asked that I leave within 2 minutes.. And the other simply said you just need to go.. I could not believe the treatment I was receiving in public for my service animal.. Granted she doesn't necessarily look like your average service animal, she does have pitbull in her bloodline.. regardless, I need her with me for the disability I have.. I have been reluctant to contact a lawyer to file a lawsuit despite even a police officer telling me that that's what I needed to do, because I don't want to drag my dog into court to have her do any kind of performance to prove her worth as a service animal.. I will refuse to do that. I would like to contact a lawyer to begin some sort of lawsuit against all of these. I strongly feel specified training needs to be in place for people who work n the general public so that mistakes and humiliating experiences like this arnott repeated in the future.. I couldn't believe the public stature of some of the corporations that had absolutely no clue what my rights were. I'm not trying to get rich quick, I even warned  all of them that what they were doing  was that best discriminatory at worst illegal.. it's taken me some time to make the decision to follow through with a lawsuit.. the ultimate deciding factor was due to the sheer number of big name companies who seemingly have no clue how to handle public service..

Now for my questions.. Does anyone know of any good lawyer to contact for this type of thing? Does anyone have any advice as to whether or not this is something I should pursue? Let me know what your thoughts are on that if you will.....i really appreciate iI, thank you!

Regards

Melanie 

Edited by FindLaw_RE
This post has been edited to remove personal identifying information --Moderator

This board is not a place to get referrals for attorneys. You may try the “Find a Lawyer” button up near the top of the screen though to look for lawyers that handle disability rights cases. Note that if you were to go to trial on this it is not likely that you'd put on some kind of show as to what the dog can do for you. Rather, you’d use expert testimony to establish that you have a disability, what the dog is trained to do for you, and how it aids you with your disability. You cannot force a company to do training as a result of your lawsuit. All you can do is seek monetary damages and/or an injunction to prevent the company from doing the same thing to you again.

Unfortunately, the issue of service animals in places of public accommodation gets to be a heated one at times because there are some people who try to claim an animal that is merely a pet as a service animal so they can bring their pet into the place with them. Those people make everyone else skeptical of service animal claims.

Hi @Mellbell37

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! You may want to start by checking out this article about service dogs. Excluding service dogs .

As Tax_Counsel mentioned, the FindLaw Lawyer Directory is an excellent way to find experienced disability lawyers -- many offer free consultations.

Best of luck and let us know if you have additional questions!

The FindLaw.com Team

On 11/5/2016 at 11:26 PM, Mellbell37 said:

I don't want to put anybody on blast yet

Huh?

I had rented a room at the R****** and at the A. golf resort and they both kicked me out because of my dog!! They did not believe  she is a service animal despite my showing paperwork, (which I do not have to furnish or provide to anyone)... They kicked me out, kept my money for the night refusing the refund. The other businesses asked me to leave, one told me she's not a service animal.. The other called the manager the manager asked that I leave within 2 minutes.. And the other simply said you just need to go.

The frequency with which this is happening suggests that there may be more to this than you have included in your post.

I have been reluctant to contact a lawyer to file a lawsuit. . . .  I would like to contact a lawyer to begin some sort of lawsuit against all of these.

Well...do you or don't you?

I don't want to drag my dog into court to have her do any kind of performance to prove her worth as a service animal.

Not sure why you might think this would happen.

I couldn't believe the public stature of some of the corporations that had absolutely no clue what my rights were.

Not sure what you mean by this.  A corporation's "knowledge" is the sum total of the knowledge of all of the individuals who are officers, directors, and employees, but that doesn't mean that every individual employee knows every thing that the corporation "knows."

On 11/6/2016 at 1:33 AM, Tax_Counsel said:

the issue of service animals in places of public accommodation gets to be a heated one at times because there are some people who try to claim an animal that is merely a pet as a service animal so they can bring their pet into the place with them. Those people make everyone else skeptical of service animal claims.

Concur.