Sign in to follow this  
Armon1987

State mishandling of cases

I was wondering can I sue the state or DCFS for mishandling my case plus pain and suffering. So what happen was that I was ordered by state to take parenting classes an domestic abuse classes after my ex an I broke up (unmarried). Once I talked to my case worker she gave me all the information. long story short i lost that paper an called my case worker to get info again. i called an left multiple messages but no return calls. After 5 years of leaving messages an getting no return calls an also i might add missing alot my kids life, birthdays, holidays, an first days of school. i googled my case worker hoping to get a cell number instead i get her new job number. so i call an she says she quit her job as a case worker around the time my case was dropped. it was dropped because i didnt take the classes. i tell her that i called her multiple times to regain info for classes she said her cases were switched over to a chris an she gives me the number and again no return calls. I call the supervisor an leave a unhappy message about the situation. She tells me theres nothing she can do about it. ive missed alot of my kids lives because of their mistake,i wrote the judge and called everyone there is to call to complain to. i filled out a complaint form an turning it in soon. ive started smoking cigarettes because of the stress this has caused an currently seeking therapy for my insomnia an depression. does anyone have a clue on what i should do>

15 hours ago, Armon1987 said:

I was wondering can I sue the state or DCFS for mishandling my case plus pain and suffering.

Anyone can sue anyone for anything.

So what happen was that I was ordered by state to take parenting classes an domestic abuse classes after my ex an I broke up (unmarried).

Because....?  It certainly didn't happen just because you broke up.

Once I talked to my case worker she gave me all the information. long story short i lost that paper an called my case worker to get info again. i called an left multiple messages but no return calls. After 5 years of leaving messages an getting no return calls. . . .

So...you let FIVE YEARS go by and all you did was place call after call and make a single trip to the office of a person who apparently didn't work there anymore?  After a couple weeks -- not five years -- you should have looked into why you weren't getting a call back.

ive missed alot of my kids lives because of their mistake

No...you missed all this time because of your mistakes, including whatever it was that got you into this mess in the first place and losing the paper you were given.

does anyone have a clue on what i should do

I suggest you stop blaming others for your own mistakes and try to make the best of things going forward.

Hi @Armon1987

Thanks for posting! As others have mentioned, you may have some challenges in bringing a lawsuit against the state. Unfortunately, staffing changes sometimes occur, and can cause confusion and inconvenience. However, if after several weeks you were unable to reach your caseworker, perhaps the prudent course of action would have been to file a family court action to get the situation straightened out, so that you could visit with your children again. A court hearing your case may feel that it was not reasonable to allow 5 years to pass.

However, at this point you may wish to speak with a family law attorney about completing your classes and repairing your relationship with your children.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team

Classes on domestic violence and child abuse are not the normal part of the end of a relationship, so there is a LOT you have left out. It is likewise inexplicable that you waited half a decade to take said classes or speak to the court/DCFS/judge. I can't even fathom calling someone at a new job and asking about my case from 5 years ago. You are lucky she didn't just hang up on you. What happened after she left employment there and your inaction for 5 years are certainly not her fault. Nor is what caused you to be required to participate in said classes to begin with. It is not going to work in your favor as far as increasing visitation with the children.