The_Mule

Question About Common Charges

I live in a NYC high rise condo, which I've owned since 1999. Common charges are quite high, but I always pay them (along with whatever ridiculous assessments are tacked on) without fail. Recently, upon receiving my statement, I noticed that another condo owner's statement had been mistakenly included with mine. Curious, I took a look. This person's apartment is 3 floors higher than mine, and about TWICE the square footage, and yet, their common charges were substantially less - the common charge was about 30% less than mine, and the assessment we're currently paying was about HALF of what mine is... How is this possible? I haven't taken this up with the management company yet, as I know they'll want to know how I came by this information. Of course, the truth is that they just made a mistake and sent it to me... But I figured I'd check in here first and see if I could get any insight as to what might be going on. Thanks in advance!

How would we know? We have no idea what your condo association bases assessments on or how these are figured. If it was sent to you by mistake, it is possible the amount is incorrect as well. Until you ask the ones who made the mistake and actually know how condos are charged, you won't know either.

The Condominium CC&Rs (Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions) should be very specific about how common costs are allocated.  You should have a copy.  What do they say about allocating costs in the condominium?

I haven't taken this up with the management company yet, as I know they'll want to know how I came by this information.

Why don't you want them to know?  It was their mistake!    Even if it was addressed to the other occupant and put in your box I wouldn't worry about opening it.  I assume mail in my mailbox is mine so I don't look at the address before I open it - it's in my mailbox which should only include mail addressed to me!. However, you indicated it was included in the envelope with your statement addressed to you, so of course you looked at it.  How would you know it wasn't yours?  Don't be embarrassed by their careless mistake.

These boards are for general legal questions.  We have to rely on posters to tell us the relevant facts of their particular situations, and we obviously have no information about any given poster's situation beyond what that poster tells us.  If you want to know how the charges for your condo are calculated relative to those of other owners in the same building, you'll have to contact the owners' association or management company.  I would suggest phone calls rather than letters or e-mails.

Hi @The_Mule

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! Looks like the community has already offered some guidance. If, after speaking with the management company, you have additional questions for the community, be sure to let us know.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team