crazyunfaircollege

farmingdale state college charging me for not attending ever

Hello I need help  I graduated a two year program at suffolk county community college and In the beginning of the summer ( end of may) 2016  I applied and signed up "online" for fall classes at farmingdale state college. during the summer alot went on I had to leave my house and reside with a friend. I found a job and was working but all of my funds were being used and saved for a car and for a place to rent. I could not afford to pay for the fall semester so I decided not to continue forward with my degree at this time. In October I receive a bill for $4,000 saying I had to pay !!!   I called the office and there were abrupt and said I am Liable for the bill ! I asked them why didnt I receive 1 notice during the summer saying I had to withdraw at all ? she basically said it was my problem and not very nice. During the 5 semesters I attended at Sccc If you didnt pay by midnight on the due date you were dropped and could not attend.The same for my sisters college no pay dropped at midnight of the due date !     I never went to Farmingdale and I never even went there to get student ID or a parking pass or pay 1 dime. I never received any notice or bill all summer until October when 1- it was too late to cancel and get money back and 2 it was too late to even consider quitting my job and going to the classes as I would have had too many absences. If I had seen a bill or notice at any time  during the summer I would have easily found a way to call them or go online and withdraw with a few clicks. I 100% HAD NO IDEA THAT THIS NEEDED TO BE DONE. and I feel like they didnt send any notices or contact me until it was too late with the intention of making extra money for themselves. So now I need an Educatuion lawyer to help me remove this bill as I do not want to start off with bad credit from the begininning.    any reccomendations ????? 

You signed up and then apparently ignored the matter until you got the bill.  I expect that, when you signed up, you agreed to pay whatever tuition was applicable.  From the school's perspective, you were like any other student who signed up and from whom the school expected to receive payment.  I'm at a loss to understand why you think someone should have held your hand through this process, and the fact that other schools might have handled this differently is obviously irrelevant.

If the only purpose of your post was to seek an attorney, there is a "find a lawyer" link displayed prominently at the top of every page at this site.

Right on there website it state, " In order to be eligible to receive a reduction of tuition and fee liability for the semester, students must follow the official drop or withdrawal deadlines.   Failure to submit payment, stopping payment on a check, or not attending class(es) does not classify as an official withdrawal and does not absolve the student of his or her financial obligation or entitle the student to a refund. "

It is actually stated several timers, on multiple pages just in the brief glance through I took. If you did not follow their procedure for officially withdrawing from the university, you are on the hook financially. I find it hard to believe you wouldn't think you needed to notify a college to which you were accepted that you were nor planning to attend, nor that you wouldn't have looked at any of the pages of the website which cost and payments.

3 hours ago, pg1067 said:

You signed up and then apparently ignored the matter until you got the bill.  I expect that, when you signed up, you agreed to pay whatever tuition was applicable.  From the school's perspective, you were like any other student who signed up and from whom the school expected to receive payment.  I'm at a loss to understand why you think someone should have held your hand through this process, and the fact that other schools might have handled this differently is obviously irrelevant.

If the only purpose of your post was to seek an attorney, there is a "find a lawyer" link displayed prominently at the top of every page at this site.

wow you two are so very quick to judge I never expected a hand to be held I am 23 but at the time I was homeless. So haters keep your judgmental mouths shut and if at any and I mean any time during the summer they sent me a bill or any notification like "come get your id ? " or parking pass or looking foward to seeing you anything would have prompted me to contact them but i was upset because only and only after a month of classes started did they finally contact me. 

Hi @crazyunfaircollege

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post. Sorry to hear about your situation. That sounds frustrating and it's understandable that you would have expected some sort of notice from the college.

If you decide you want to speak with an attorney about the matter, you can use the FindLaw Lawyer Directory to search for one in your area. With the assistance of counsel, you may be able to work something out with the school.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

The FindLaw.com Team

52 minutes ago, crazyunfaircollege said:

i was upset because only and only after a month of classes started did they finally contact me.

Why didn't you contact the college?

No one's judging you (at least I'm not), but you seem to think your circumstances require that the school change its otherwise applicable rules.  That certainly would be nice, and the school certainly could do that, but those circumstances aren't legally relevant, and this isn't a "wouldn't it be nice?" message board.  Just because someone doesn't side with you doesn't make that person judgmental or a "hater."  Time to grow up.