Sign in to follow this  
adjusterjack

The History of Our Legal System

There was a time, long ago, when there were only 10 things that thou shalt not do.

That was fine for a few thousand years until a fellow named Hammurabi decided that 10 things weren't enough and came up with 282 laws that he codified based on decisions that he had made during his 42 year rule of Babylonia.

The intent was that everybody would know what their rights and obligations were.

Many of our modern laws have evolved from that body of law but, sad to say, some of Hammurabi's laws have not stood the test of time, but should have.

Examples:

A man caught committing robbery was put to death.

A man whose negligence caused damage to another was sold into slavery and the money from the sale was given to the damaged party in compensation.

A person who committed fraud was made to pay ten times the loss to his victim.

One that I especially like is that a judge who reaches an incorrect decision gets fined and permanently removed from his position.

Time marched on and it became common for the rulers of the lands to make the laws that would insure their continued sovereignty. This was accomplished by writing the laws in arcane language understood only by the writers. This, of course, necessitated being able to teach the laws to their successors and resulted in the development of law schools where the practitioners were taught to dance around the fire and chant the arcane language of the law.

To keep the understanding of the law to a select few the teachers of the law charged a very high entry fee which the practitioners subsequently had to recover by charging high fees to their clients who had no choice but to pay or be bereft of legal representation.

That explains the complexity and cost of today's modern legal system.

1 hour ago, adjusterjack said:

As a history of law, I'd give that an F. And as an explanation for the complexity of today's legal system, I'd give it a F-. Oh, and as an attempt at humor? I give it a failing grade at that, too :-)

9 hours ago, adjusterjack said:

There was a time, long ago, when there were only 10 things that thou shalt not do.

That was fine for a few thousand years until a fellow named Hammurabi decided that 10 things weren't enough and came up with 282 laws that he codified based on decisions that he had made during his 42 year rule of Babylonia.

Except that the Code of Hammurabi predates the ten commandments.  It also presumes that the ten commandments were the only laws applicable to the limited portion of the world who regarded them as law.

The intent was that everybody would know what their rights and obligations were.

Whose intent?

some of Hammurabi's laws have not stood the test of time, but should have.

Examples:

A man caught committing robbery was put to death.

A man whose negligence caused damage to another was sold into slavery and the money from the sale was given to the damaged party in compensation.

So...you'd be in favor of the death penalty for relatively minor, non-capital crimes?  And folks who cause minor car accidents should be sold into slavery?  I really hope this is intended to be ironic or tongue-in-cheek.

One that I especially like is that a judge who reaches an incorrect decision gets fined and permanently removed from his position.

Who decides if a decision is incorrect?  Another judge?  What if that other judge is wrong?

the development of law schools where the practitioners were taught to dance around the fire and chant the arcane language of the law.

I must have missed that particular class.  I was taught to use plain English and eschew "legalese."

Nonsense.

P.S.  I didn't notice until the end who had written this.  Disappointing.

19 hours ago, adjusterjack said:

Satire, folks. Literary license. Has amused many.

I suppose Jonathan Swift and Monty Python's Flying Circus had their detractors, too.

:)

You surely don’t put that bit in the same category as Jonathan Swift and Monty Python, do you? Really, as humor goes, that fell flat. I enjoy a good joke about lawyers and the law as anyone, but that piece didn’t tickle my funny bone in the least.

1 hour ago, Tax_Counsel said:

You surely don’t put that bit in the same category as Jonathan Swift and Monty Python, do you?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Tax_Counsel said:

Really, as humor goes, that fell flat. I enjoy a good joke about lawyers and the law as anyone, but that piece didn’t tickle my funny bone in the least.

I'm OK with that.

What do you think about this next one?

The Origin of Liberals and Conservatives

Humans originally existed as members of small bands of nomadic hunters/gatherers. They lived on deer in the mountains during the summer and would go to the coast and live on fish and lobster in the winter.

The two most important events in all of history were the invention of beer and the invention of the wheel. The wheel was invented to get man to the beer. These were the foundation of modern civilization and together were the catalyst for the splitting of humanity into two distinct subgroups:

Liberals and Conservatives.

Once beer was discovered, it required grain and that was the beginning of agriculture. Neither the glass bottle nor aluminum can were invented yet, so while our early humans were sitting around waiting for them to be invented, they just stayed close to the brewery. That's how villages were formed.

Some men spent their days tracking and killing animals to BBQ at night while they were drinking beer. This was the beginning of what is known as the Conservative movement..

Other men who were weaker and less skilled at hunting learned to live off the conservatives by showing up for the nightly BBQ's and doing the sewing, fetching, and hair dressing. This was the beginning of the Liberal movement.

Some of these liberal men eventually evolved into women. Those became known as girlie-men. Some noteworthy liberal achievements include the domestication of cats, the invention of group therapy, group hugs, and the concept of Democratic voting to decide how to divide the meat and beer that conservatives provided.

Over the years conservatives came to be symbolized by the largest, most powerful land animal on earth, the elephant. Liberals are symbolized by the jackass.

Modern liberals like imported beer (with lime added), but most prefer white wine or imported bottled water. They eat raw fish but like their beef well done. Sushi, tofu, and French food are standard liberal fare.. Another interesting evolutionary side note: most of their women have higher testosterone levels than their men. Most social workers, personal injury attorneys, journalists, dreamers in Hollywood and group therapists are liberals. Liberals invented the designated hitter rule because it wasn't fair to make the pitcher also bat.

Conservatives drink domestic beer. They eat red meat and still provide for their women. Conservatives are big game hunters, rodeo cowboys, lumberjacks, construction workers, firemen, medical doctors, police officers, engineers, corporate executives, athletes, members of the military, airline pilots and generally anyone who works productively. Conservatives who own companies hire other conservatives who want to work for a living.

Liberals produce little or nothing. They like to govern the producers and decide what to do with the production. Liberals believe Europeans are more enlightened than Americans... That is why most of the liberals remained in Europe when conservatives were coming to America . They crept in after the Wild West was tamed and created a business of trying to get more for nothing.

For some reason Jack thinks that insulting groups that people belong to, in front of them where they cannot help but hear, is funny and he doesn't seem to understand why they get upset. Jack and I have been online buddies of a sort for some many years now but he seems to get a perverse pleasure out of insulting HR as a profession and then wonders why I fight back.

6 hours ago, cbg said:

For some reason Jack thinks that insulting groups that people belong to, in front of them where they cannot help but hear, is funny and he doesn't seem to understand why they get upset.

I think I just picked the wrong site to post this stuff on. Other legal sites have forums for off-topic subjects, humor, banter, etc as well as many who appreciate it. Anyway, got one like from ChiefAzul. 

6 hours ago, cbg said:

Jack and I have been online buddies of a sort for some many years now but he seems to get a perverse pleasure out of insulting HR as a profession and then wonders why I fight back.

I do value our online relationship. :)

As do I, Jack. But you can't expect me to stand by and allow you to denigrate my profession, and by extension me, when your characterizing is misleading at best, and not argue the point.

16 hours ago, adjusterjack said:

What do you think about this next one?

Really, it’s not any better. IMO both suffer from the same defects. They spend a lot of time trotting out well-worn caricatures but fail to deliver anything new and funny for a punch line at the end. I suppose some who really like those worn-out caricatures find them funny, but to me they just seem tired. And I'm not a liberal so it's not a matter of me being offended by it. It just didn't strike me as funny. To each his/her own, I guess.