Sign in to follow this  
bigrock

Dead beat dad now gets disability

Legally have joint physical and financial responsibility of our 17 year old boys,.....but ....Bec my ex refuses to pay for anything I (mom) have had to step up and work a 60 hour a week job to make ends meet. I pay for everything and give my ex receipts but sometimes I may get some money but usually I get nothing or he decides he just doesn't feel like paying for anything, so I am stuck stepping up.  My ex was awarded disability and I believe he is receiving several years of back pay.  He told me the Social Security Admin is awarding the children a dependent portion of his disability and he is writing me a check 1x a month and he doesnt care what I spend it on....oh, and by the way I'm supposed to claim it on my taxes....Wait!...What!!!??......Aren't I supposed to get some paperwork on this????? He refuses to give me any legal paperwork..!!!....This is all about the kids here.....I don't want a darn dime for me....I want to make sure OUR children get what they are entitled to!!  Dead beat dad won't pay for a dentist appointment or new shoes.  Shouldn't there be something I can do to make sure he doing his part legally and the children are receiving what they are supposed to...I've been wanting to file for legal child support for years, but just didn't want to drag the kids thru anything painful....Any advice is appreciated..

11 hours ago, bigrock said:

He told me the Social Security Admin is awarding the children a dependent portion of his disability and he is writing me a check 1x a month and he doesnt care what I spend it on....oh, and by the way I'm supposed to claim it on my taxes....Wait!...What!!!??

Just addressing the tax issue, when children receive disability based on a parent the Form 1099-SSA is usually issued in their social security number.  If they are young children and don't have any other income, they aren't required to file a return for that and the amount goes untaxed.

13 hours ago, bigrock said:

oh, and by the way I'm supposed to claim it on my taxes....Wait!...What!!!??

I can't really tell where this came from, but I hope it goes without saying that you shouldn't be taking tax advice from your ex-whatever.

Aren't I supposed to get some paperwork on this?

I'm not sure what "this" refers to; you mentioned a lot of things up to this point in your post, some of which would involve paperwork, and some of which wouldn't.

He refuses to give me any legal paperwork..!

What "legal paperwork" do you think he should be giving you and why?

Shouldn't there be something I can do to make sure he doing his part legally and the children are receiving what they are supposed to.

Of course.  It's called a child support order.  Did you really not know that?

I've been wanting to file for legal child support for years, but just didn't want to drag the kids thru anything painful.

SMH.

Any advice is appreciated.

Fortunately for you, in Missouri, child support obligations generally extend until a child turns 18 years old or obtains a high school diploma, whichever happens later.  At this point, if a child enrolls in “an institution of vocational or higher education” no later than October first, the child support obligation will continue to be due as long as the child remains enrolled in school and completes at least 12 hours of coursework per term, achieving passing grades in at least six hours.  Once the child reaches age 21 or “completes his or her education,” whichever comes first, the child support obligation ends.  As such, I disagree with "RetiredinVA's" assertion that, because of your children's age, filing for child support now is not a realistic option.  I suggest you consult with a local family law attorney ASAP.

Hi @bigrock

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! Looks like you've already gotten some great input from the community! Agreeing with other posters, you should likely speak with a local family law attorney to discuss bringing an action requesting child support. For a free consultation with a family law attorney, you can click here, or use the FindLaw Lawyer Directory to find qualified attorneys in your area.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team