Sign in to follow this  
RW123

malpractice?

I switched doctors recently and when he was going through my daughters vaccine records he saw she got an MMR shot and 2 MMR boosters as opposed to 1 that is normally given. She recently was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes which is linked to the MMR vaccine and Rubella. Is there grounds for a lawsuit?

Type 1 diabetes has been conclusively proven to not be linked to the MMR vaccine.  So I doubt you have a case.    See, for instance,

http://www.webmd.com/children/vaccines/news/20040331/no-childhood-vaccination-diabetes

That source discusses a study of 750,000 children who got the MMR shots and did not develop diabetes are a higher rate than those who did not receive the vaccine.

1 hour ago, RW123 said:

type 1 diabetes which is linked to the MMR vaccine and Rubella. Is there grounds for a lawsuit?

Even if the extremely questionable research linking type 1 diabetes to the vaccines in general (including the MMR vaccine) were valid, there would be virtually no way to prove that your daughter's diagnosis was the result of this vaccine or any vaccine in general (much less the fact that your child received one more booster than "is normally given").  I submit that you could find much better uses for the tens of thousands of dollars and hundreds or thousands of hours that would be needed to pursue such a lawsuit.

Hi @RW123

Welcome and thanks for your post! Looks like you've gotten some great input from the community...you may want to read a little bit more about studies regarding MMR vaccines and diabetes to decide if you wish to pursue legal action. You can also speak with a personal injury or malpractice lawyer to find out if there is any chance of success with a lawsuit.

Best of luck,

The FindLaw.com Team