Sign in to follow this  
kristiekarla

Almost 18

Hello, I have been a single mother for 17 years now, my daughters father left us when she was born, 2 years later he wants to be in her life, ok so I let him, I was going through a divorce he would not help me babysit so I had to move 50 miles away, ok time going on he would see her every other weekend till she hot 13 she started high school and she started and was in cross country and he blew her off for 3 years. Mind you I have full sole custody, all he has is parenting time. I wrote letters and letters to the court about this they never did anything, now she will be 18 in 7 weeks and he keeps going to the court and lying and saying that I won't let him see her at all. They will not evern listen to what I have to say at all. She was in the hospital for wanting to kill herself due to being depressed because her father blew her off for so many years. The court would not hear me or even let me speak. He has never even been there when she was sick or school activities he did not want to be bothered with it. Now he goes to the court every week and lying and they are harassing me threating me and my daughter that we will go to jail. All I am trying to do is help her be a responsible adult. I only make 1000 buck a month and this just isn't right help can they really do this to us? I want to change my number.  Thanks Kristie L.

Edited by FindLaw_RE
This post has been edited to remove personal identifying information --Moderator

Just to be clear:  your daughter is now 17 years and ten months old.  Her father is seeking visitation with her but you are fighting it and refusing him visitaton.  But your daughter has tried to commit suicide because her father did not spend time with her since she was 13.   of course, you recognize that in seven weeks she will be an adult capable of making her own decisions.  Is all that correct?

The first part of your post is really difficult to follow because of the lack of proper punctuation and capitalization and the random "ok's" thrown in throughout.

21 hours ago, kristiekarla said:

I have full sole custody, all he has is parenting time.

Does this mean there is a court order concerning custody, visitation, and child support?

I wrote letters and letters to the court about this they never did anything

First, I'm not sure who "they" are.  Second, you wrote letters to the court about what?  Third, you should be aware that writing letters is not the appropriate way to get a court to do anything.

can they really do this to us?

It's not really clear what's happening.  You wrote that the father is appearing in court and (apparently) claiming that you are denying visitation.  However, your post does not appear to deny that you are doing that.  Obviously, if the court has ordered visitation and you are denying it, then you're subject to being punished for contempt of court.

Keep in mind that, once your daughter reaches the age of 18, she gets to decide whom she spends time with.

If you have a court order granting him visitation time, you must follow it. He isn't obligated to use that time, particularly if it means the child misses out on sports or activities, but he is entitled to it if he chooses to exercise that right. It is always a bonus if parents can get along well enough to allow extra time such as when a child is ill or has a special event, but participation is not required, and depending upon the wording of your order, may not be permitted.

If your child is suicidal for any reason, you need to get her mental and behavior health assistance asap.

Hi @kristiekarla

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. So sorry to hear about your situation with your daughter. As other posters have mentioned, if you believe that your daughter is harmed by seeing her father, you might want to consider filing a motion with the court to suspend visitation. On the other hand, if your daughter will be 18 years old in 7 weeks, you may just want to wait. Once she turns 18, she can refuse all visitation, as she is an adult.

The FindLaw.com Team