cheeta80

interstate corrections compact

So, my husband is an inmate in a facility in Indiana. We lived in Iowa when he was sentenced and we would somehow like to get him transferred to a facility here in Iowa so we are closer to him and can be more supportive. We have 3 kids and want him in the kids life as much as possible and it's hard to travel to Indiana every few months to visit. Does anyone know anything about Interstate Corrections Compact? I have done lots of research and I can only seem to find information on transferring states once you are on parole or probation. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.i

In Indiana, the Interstate Corrections Compact is codified in Title 11, Article 8, Chapter 4 of the Indiana Code.  My quick review indicates that it allows two states to contract with each other for one states prisoners to be incarcerated in the other state, at the expense of the first state.  I did not see anything that suggests this could be done at the instance of the prisoner.  My best guess is that, if this is possible, you will need to get the State of Indiana to agree to it, the State of Iowa to accept it, and will have to pay some very hefty fees (part of the issue is that most states will be reluctant to import criminals from other states).  I suggest you contact some attorneys in both Indiana and Iowa to discuss this.

Hi @cheeta80

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! Check out this blog post about prison transfer requests. As pg mentioned, you may also want to speak with an attorney in Iowa and Indiana to discuss how to proceed. To search for attorneys in both areas, you can use the FindLaw Lawyer Directory.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team