Sign in to follow this  
BuildingIsStressful

New Home Construction - Structure Issue

I am 50 days out from closing on a new construction home and just noticed a structural oversight.  Upon further investigation (comparing my house with the model and two other homes that are my exact same model) I discovered that the bump out I was supposed to have in my master bedroom (a bump out that is standard and NOT an upgrade) was excluded from the floor plan.  All other homes that are my model have the bump out.  Ultimately this reduces the amount of square footage for that room.  Builder will claim it's not their fault because I had to sign off on plans.  However floorplan for the model was not available at time of review to compare against.  I assumed I was getting what I paid for and was represented in the model.  I was not informed of any changes to the floorplan. Is there any recourse?

13 hours ago, BuildingIsStressful said:

Is there any recourse?

Probably not. At least not without paying a lawyer several thousand dollars and potentially litigating the issue or losing your down payment.

You had the opportunity of deferring your purchase until you could review the plans for YOUR house.

I can't read your contract so I suggest you have an attorney read it and advise you of your options.

On 10/22/2016 at 9:28 PM, BuildingIsStressful said:

Builder will claim it's not their fault because. . . .

Instead of speculating about this, why not contact the seller (not sure if that's the same as the builder) and discuss this?  Until you do that, discussions about "recourse" are pointless.

On 10/22/2016 at 9:28 PM, BuildingIsStressful said:

floorplan for the model was not available at time of review to compare against.

To compare against what?  Did you sign anything that said you had reviewed and approved of the floorplan even though you hadn't?  If so, why did you sign that?