sammy96

Ripped off by dealer

I recently purchased a new car at a local dealership.  I had not done my research, unfortunately, and impulsively signed a contract.  As it turns out, I over paid for the car almost $2000 dollars.  This was well over the advertised price and the listed MSRP of the vehicle.  The dealer also told me he would give me $2000 for my trade in, but just turned around and added that to the cost of the vehicle.  Apparently, the car manufacturer had special offers going on, which I found online later.  When I asked them about it, they lied and said that they advertise those prices only to get people in the door, but I know that is not true.  I found this out by calling the car manufacturer myself.  Is there anything illegal about what they did?

I see nothing that is likely illegal with the possible exception of this:

3 minutes ago, sammy96 said:

When I asked them about it, they lied and said that they advertise those prices only to get people in the door, but I know that is not true.

If the dealer advertised something that wasn't true, then there could be a claim for false advertising.  It's not clear whether this influenced your purchasing decision, though, so it may simply be something to report to the state AG's office.

Also,

4 minutes ago, sammy96 said:

The dealer also told me he would give me $2000 for my trade in, but just turned around and added that to the cost of the vehicle.

If the contract didn't accurately reflect what was agreed to, it could be reformed.  For example, if the new car price was $20k and you were to get $2k for your trade-in (for a net price of $18k) but, instead of subtracting the trade-in price, that price was added (such that the net price was $22k), that's something that ought to be corrected.

7 minutes ago, sammy96 said:

Is there anything illegal about what they did?

While PG1067 is right about outright fraud and correcting obvious mistakes I suspect that it was just business as usual for scumbag car dealers and they stopped just this side of doing anything illegal..

My guess is that you blindly fell for their "sales" tactics and didn't bother to read and understand the contract before "impulsively" making the deal, so you are stuck with the results of your bargain.

What you learned afterwards is your life lesson from the school of hard knocks and, hopefully, you'll know better next time you go to a car dealership.

Hi @sammy96

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. So sorry to hear about your bad experience buying a car. From your description of the facts, this may be a case of "buyer beware." However, you may want to peruse our materials on buying a car from our Learn About the Law resources.

Best of luck!

The FindLaw.com Team