Sign in to follow this  
Doggy1964

Employer is invading my private life outside of work

I work privately as a home health aide and we believe a previous employee had stolen a valuable piece of property from the home before I was hired to fill their position. The item wasn't discovered missing until I had already been hired but only worked for this employer a few days and was told by a client one day that an item of theirs was missing. I had never seen this item but asked my relief when they arrived about the item which I was told had never existed. I then asked this person to please look through the residence for anything out of place or odd sense they had worked here a full year at the time which is when they discovered something valuable was actually missing I asked them to please call and inform our employer right away seeing as I had never seen the missing item and would not be able to properly inform our employer about the item which they did. Now my employer is having me followed by a PI after I leave work each day as well as tapping my personal cell phone conversations and I believe there are hidden cameras but employer hasn't informed us of them if there are. I briefly knew the employee i replaced and believe it's possible that I'm being targeted simply for that reason. I'm not sure what else they are having surveillance regarding myself and probably don't want to know. I just want to know if all or any of this is legal and if it is or isn't what should I do? Thanks 

Everything you have described is legal, except the tapping of your cell phone, in most states. How do you know they are tapping your phone? If you have proof, not suspicion, take it to the police and report it.

It sounds as if your employer is willing to spend thousands of dollars keeping you under surveillance.  Tapping a cell phone is something that even the FBI finds difficult.  Private investigators often charge $50 per hour and up for surveillance.  Surveillance cameras are useless unless they are monitored by a human being, which costs.  It sounds as if you are providing health care for fabulously wealthy clients to justify the cost of keeping an eye on you.  Congratulations.

1 hour ago, Doggy1964 said:

I work privately as a home health aide and we believe a previous employee had stolen a valuable piece of property from the home before I was hired to fill their position.

Who are "we," and to whom does "their" refer?

I had never seen this item but asked my relief when they arrived about the item which I was told had never existed.

Told by whom?

I then asked this person to please look through the residence for anything out of place or odd sense they had worked here a full year at the time which is when they discovered something valuable was actually missing I asked them to please call and inform our employer right away seeing as I had never seen the missing item and would not be able to properly inform our employer about the item which they did.

This is quite a nightmare of a run on sentence.  Your use of plural pronouns to refer to individuals doesn't help.  Anyway, I'm not really sure what's happening here.

my employer is . . . tapping my personal cell phone conversations

That is awfully unlikely -- particularly since it's incredibly illegal.  What makes you think this is happening?

I believe there are hidden cameras but employer hasn't informed us of them if there are.

Hidden cameras where?  And what would be the point of hidden cameras if your employer told you about them?

I briefly knew the employee i replaced and believe it's possible that I'm being targeted simply for that reason.

Targeted by whom and in what way?  Why would anyone "target" you simply because you knew your predecessor?

I just want to know if all or any of this is legal and if it is or isn't what should I do?

As noted, tapping your cell phone would be illegal, but it's doubtful that it's occurring, which leads me to believe the thing for you to do is consult with a mental health professional about what seems to be a less than healthy degree of paranoia.